Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jan Sat 21, 2017 6:20 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: DX60A fuse and power line protection
PostPosted: Jan Sun 08, 2017 11:06 pm 

Hi. I have a nice working DX60A. Just put in the HV function switch modification and next was to switch over the 2 wire 120 plus to a 3 wire, line, neutral, ground. And finally address the modulation circuits.

The DX60A I have does not follow any A schematic I could find. It does not use the in line pair of 3 A fuses. In fact there are NO fuses. The 2 wire plug leads directly to the primary of the xmfr, I assume via the function switch FS-2 and the other "line" goes to a SYLVANIA MB310 protection (?) device?? Not sure, but looks like some sore of overload or shunt protection gas-neon bulb. Any ideas? Do not see this item in any schematics. Tnx, Alan W4AMV

Post subject: Re: DX60A fuse and power line protection
PostPosted: Jan Sun 08, 2017 11:11 pm 

Hi Allen, On my DX 60 I took out the unploraized plug and went in witha 3map fuse and a 3 wire plug.
Mike
N1CHP

PostPosted: Jan Sun 08, 2017 11:58 pm 

The non A used a fused plug, there were no fuses in the unit. the B used a circuit breaker which looks like a small bulb. I do not have a manual for the A unit.

Dave

PostPosted: Jan Mon 09, 2017 12:54 am 

If it turns out to be a HK p# 65-10 it's a 3a circuit breaker. They use it on the HW-16.
Give the function a good look over, because of it's high usage (send/rec) the contacts get burn up on them. Difficult to find a replacement. Some use a relay to replace the bad contacts.

GL
Terry N3GTE

PostPosted: Jan Mon 09, 2017 12:58 am 

Try Manualman for a DX 60A Manual

PostPosted: Jan Mon 09, 2017 1:24 am 

Many thanks for all the replies. So the unit device is a 3 A certain breaker. I suppose I could leave the breaker in place and still add a 3 wire plug in the conventional manner with the switched line in series with an additional FUSE and leave the breaker in place. Take the neutral to the non switched part of the xmfr. And of course, finding the 60A schematic will be very helpful. Thanks again!

PostPosted: Jan Mon 09, 2017 12:40 pm 

More physical review of the DX60A and the 60B schematic indicates the fuse and line arrangement are the same. The major change in the A from the original DX60 was the 2 fuse in line was dropped and the circuit breaker over load protection used. A straight forward approach to help protect the DX60A and line connection is to note which side of the 2 wire plug is LINE. A simple continuity check on the plug on my unit shows the line side to go to the BD TERMINAL lug 2. Mark this side of the plug as LINE. If you use a POWER BAR to switch on the DX60 in lieu of the function switch, then simply find the LINE side of the POWER BAR and mate plug to POWER BAR. Done. No need to put in a 3 wire line cord. Of course ground the DX60 to ground of the bar. Alan