Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Wed 17, 2018 11:48 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Show us your pre-war boat anchors
PostPosted: Jan Fri 13, 2017 1:45 am 

I got an appropriate speaker a few months ago for this SX-23 that I've had for a few years, as well as the correct tuning knob...both of which were much more expensive than the radio! It was recapped when I got it, but I need to tighten up and lube the mechanical tuning geartrain, as well as some stiff switches. It's my second-oldest Hallicrafters, I recently got an SX-16 that I haven't even opened up yet.

Attachments:
SX23-1.JPG
SX23-1.JPG [ 83.75 KiB | Viewed 1753 times ]

PostPosted: Jan Fri 13, 2017 1:50 am 

Ahhhh! Those Bretings and Pattersons are making me jealous!

Such wonderful radios!

I forgot about my Hallicrafters SX16. I need to get a photo of it.

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Jan Fri 13, 2017 2:19 am 

Todd, KA1KAQ wrote:
Was walking through the basement area earlier opening windows (70 degrees here in northern VA today) when I came across another oldie I'd
forgotten about, a Meissner TrafficMaster acquired friend and fellow list member John/W3JN last October. I took some shots to show him I
had it set up and working. A lot of fun to listen to, incredible audio. This thing was truly a wreck when he got it in 2006.

That's a set that doesn't show up often. Was it a kit and is that an ElectroVoice Aristocrat that it's perched on?

PostPosted: Jan Fri 13, 2017 3:03 am 

Yes and yes. Good eyes. An original EV coaxial speaker inside too, can't remember which model. Has been driven by the SX-28A, SP-100X, and
now the TrafficMaster. Also have some big Collins lobby speakers with 15" Jensen JHP-52s in them that really sing with an old P-P output tube receiver on top.

Hey Rodger - was hoping you'd check in. I remembered you had some beautiful prewar receivers. You also had a TrafficMaster last I knew. Hope
you and the family are doing well. I bet your little one isn't so little anymore. My baby girl turned 4 in November!

That SX-23 is one sweet looking rig. Definitely has the Art Deco thing going on.

Last edited by Todd, KA1KAQ on Jan Fri 13, 2017 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 13, 2017 3:12 am 

The AVR-11 is an interesting set. There's a picture of mine on the Radio Boulevard pre-war page. It has the classic deco look and sounds great. However, it's not much of communications receiver. Essentially, the chassis is almost identical to the chassis of a high-end RCA home-entertainment console of the same era with a noise suppressor and a BFO added. The performance of contemporary communications receivers like the Comet Pro is far superior. I was told that very few AVR-11s have survived and that it's a pretty scarce set.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 13, 2017 4:05 am 

Here's my restored Sky Buddy:

Attachment:
sr19~3.jpg
sr19~3.jpg [ 62.85 KiB | Viewed 1736 times ]

PostPosted: Jan Fri 13, 2017 4:31 am 

The classic Sky Buddy!

I rebuilt one of those for my father in-law last summer. I imagine you were one lucky kid if you had a Sky Buddy back in the 40s.

Bob - That Skyrider 23 is really a "one off" look for the Hallicrafters line and yours looks like a really nice example. To me the design reminds me of a cross between an SX-28 and a 1939 Zenith.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 13, 2017 5:18 am 

I'll have to get some shots under the lid...it's the only Hallicrafters that is fully painted inside...chassis as well as transformers in gloss dark grey, with embossed "circle -H" on top of each transformer.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 13, 2017 4:30 pm 

Joe Connor wrote:
The AVR-11 is an interesting set. There's a picture of mine on the Radio Boulevard pre-war page. It has the classic deco look and sounds great. However, it's not much of communications receiver. Essentially, the chassis is almost identical to the chassis of a high-end RCA home-entertainment console of the same era with a noise suppressor and a BFO added. The performance of contemporary communications receivers like the Comet Pro is far superior. I was told that very few AVR-11s have survived and that it's a pretty scarce set.

It uses the same 'magic brain' sub assembly, too. I've yet to get inside one of the ACR-111 amateur receivers of the day to do a comparison, I suspect a lot of 'sharing' took place across lines then. The dial bezel is used on numerous consoles.

The AVR-11 was originally intended to be used in airport towers, hence the odd frequency coverage. Despite the fact that there were small airports on every corner back then, I'd bet they were expensive sets and not many sold to begin with. In all my years of searching I've yet to find a single ad and only one reference in an aviation book (by Morgan, IIRC) to it. When I picked mine up only one other was known of, in Chuck Dachis' collection. I posted mine on here and another popped up in Canada with a relay mod added to the speaker panel, probably to power an outside speaker for an observation deck. The owner ended up moving back to England and sold the receiver to a fellow ham who also bought Chuck's. Somewhere in my notes I think there are one or two others, yours being the latest when you told me about it last year. Henry came up with one as well, and there's been a hacked up version on ebay for a while for several times what it's worth. Henry was curious about the replacement dial cover so I sent him some shots of mine just before putting it in storage. No idea if he ever changed his out.

So yes - they are quite scarce and are not purpose-built shortwave communications receivers, odd as that seems. They certainly get the award for the most in-your-face emblem.

I think the 20s-30s were the halcyon days of the superhet - certainly improvements were made later but the bulk of the good stuff was done during those years. Combined with the great styling and emphasis on high fidelity evidenced by so many push-pull receivers, it's tough to beat these rigs for overall enjoyment even with a newer, more industrial looking receiver.

PostPosted: Jan Sat 14, 2017 2:43 am 

azenithnut wrote:
'm surprised I cannot find a decent photo of my RME 69...

Here it is after I bought it, with the matching DB-20 preselector.

Jon, I love your RME 9D!
Someday I'll find one, I hope :D

-Steve

Thanks Steve. Nice RME set up you have. I wonder if they made a matching preselector for the 9D. For now I will use the Peak P-11 when restored.

Jon

"The finest in music plus radio entertainment"

PostPosted: Jan Sat 14, 2017 2:46 am 

ton10291 wrote:
One of the more unusual sets that my small collection of pre-war communications receivers includes is this Patterson PR15. I got it over 25 years ago in a trade for a Hammarlund Comet Pro.

Excellent set and excellent original condition! Thanks for sharing.

Jon

PostPosted: Jan Sat 14, 2017 2:53 am 

Todd, I think Henry's AVR-11 is missing the speaker, which is unfortunate.

You mentioned superhets. The Comet Pro (beginning in 1932) was the first commercially available superhet communications receiver. Until the Comet Pro came along, many experts believed that a set with a regenerative detector was the most sensitive shortwave receiver possible. The superhet was considered inadequate because it was felt that its noise level would lower usable sensitivity. The Comet Pro proved them wrong, and a host of other superhet communications receivers followed .

PostPosted: Jan Sat 14, 2017 2:57 am 

Joe Connor wrote:
Those are sharp-looking receivers. For the last five years, I've been looking for and finding some of those '30s sets. They really are cool, and I find myself gravitating towards them.

So tell me: how do they perform, and what kind of restoration work did you have to do?

Hey Joe,

Depends on the receiver. They were all built to different specifications and quality. Hallicrafters, RME, and Hamurlund were some of the top brands in quality and performance pre-war. Collins didn't really get into the receiver business until after WWII but made some killer civilian transmitters. Patterson is a neat company that was based out of CA, there are a few Patterson's posted. Cannot attest to their performance, bet some of these Patterson owners that have already posted could probably tell us how they perform. RCA only dabbled in the civilian communications market, I have yet to restore any of my RCA's so don't know how well they will do. The black SX-16 seen in the second photo sitting on the desk performs excellent, I have been using it as a primary for several years now. Performed a full electrical restoration on this receiver. New caps/resistors, and a full alightment using lab grade equipment. The SX-28 is about the best pre war receiver made through WWII.

Jon

PostPosted: Jan Sat 14, 2017 3:01 am 

rsingl wrote:
ton10291 wrote:

As far as I know the jack and switch on the Patterson are original although I've never used the set so I'm not sure what the switch is for.

The switch and jack are original. The switch controls muting between stations when tuning, now better known as squelch :)

I have a PR-15 along with the PR-16 predecessor (number in model is number of tubes and the 16 is older than the 15). You will note some resemblance between the PR-16 and the Pierson KP-81 because Karl Pierson worked with Patterson and the related Pierson DeLane group before founding his own firm.

Wow! The PR-10 and PR-16 have been on my bucket list for quite some time. How does the PR-16 perform and do you have the matching speaker?

Thanks for sharing some of your machines Rodger!

Jon

PostPosted: Jan Sat 14, 2017 3:09 am 

Bob E. wrote:
I got an appropriate speaker a few months ago for this SX-23 that I've had for a few years, as well as the correct tuning knob...both of which were much more expensive than the radio! It was recapped when I got it, but I need to tighten up and lube the mechanical tuning geartrain, as well as some stiff switches. It's my second-oldest Hallicrafters, I recently got an SX-16 that I haven't even opened up yet.

Wow Bob, your SX-23 is in immaculate condition. A receiver not often seen. Thanks for sharing!

Jon

PostPosted: Jan Sat 14, 2017 3:11 am 

THANK YOU ALL FOR POSTING THUS FAR, PLEASE POST MORE RECEIVERS! PRE-WAR TRANSMITTERS TOO IF YOU HAVE ANY!!!!

Jon

PostPosted: Jan Sat 14, 2017 6:43 am 

Do these count as pre war boat anchors? 1937 RCA 811K and a Pre March of 42 RCA 27k.............

PostPosted: Jan Sat 14, 2017 6:44 am 

My SX-15 Hallicrafters............

PostPosted: Jan Sat 14, 2017 3:05 pm 

I think that's an SX-15 with an after-market S meter. I have one pretty similar, and it's a strange radio. Talk about hammy hambone mods. Mine had been "updated" with more modern octal tubes. The work was so sloppy that the prior owner had used wire nuts instead of solder. I got it home and figured this one was going to take a lot of work to get going. For grins, I tried it after replacing the 'lytics. Damned if it didn't work and work well. Go figure.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 15, 2017 7:27 pm 

Most of my several dozen boat anchors are post WW-II. Other than a S-20R and a SX-28 the only other pre-war boat anchor I have is this Hallicrafters S-14 "Sky-Chief" circa 1936. I believe it is the only Hallicrafters receiver ever made with an eye-tube installed.

Attachments:
S-14.JPG
S-14.JPG [ 83.68 KiB | Viewed 1541 times ]

Last edited by Ed Engelken on Jan Tue 17, 2017 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 73 posts ]  Moderator: Sandy Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next