Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Sun 19, 2017 10:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: VFO for Collins 32rs1?
PostPosted: Jan Sun 29, 2017 8:22 pm 

Recently aquired a Collins 32rs-1 radio and understand it requires crystals. That said, is there any kind of compatible VFO or VFO arrangement that would give me frquency flexibility with this radio? Thanks. Reggie

Post subject: Re: VFO for Collins 32rs1?
PostPosted: Jan Sun 29, 2017 11:57 pm 

I have no experience with the 32rs1 other than a quick google I just did.
I doubt there are any vfo designed for use with that rig
You certainly could add a homemade and make it work but keep in mind the 32rs1 was designed to operate on one of four fixed channels. There must be provisions in this equipment to tune or adjust or bandswitch the rest of the signal path as you move across the 2-15 MHz range. These tuning adjustments are not brought out to the front panel so as you tune away form the set frequency at some point you will have to open up the set and retune. And the set only does USB so it will not be useful on 80 or 40 meters

I think you could set this up to operate USB on 20 meters. You might need two vfos, one for the receiver and another from the transmitter frequency.

Sounds like a lot of work.

Post subject: Re: VFO for Collins 32rs1?
PostPosted: Jan Mon 30, 2017 12:21 am 

The S line transmitters and transceivers (like other makes) have a VFO for fine frequency tuning, but also use controls like "Exciter Tuning" and "Plate Tuning" to resonate the Oscillator, Mixer, RF, Driver, and PA plate circuits. In the 32RS1 these are done with inserted coil enclosures at each stage for fixed frequencies. On most transmitters where a VFO can be used the other controls are present on the front panel. They wouldn't be in this situation. Because those plates are relatively broadly tuned, I suppose you could use a fixed plug-in coil at certain frequencies and then use an external VFO for a small--maybe 50 or 100 KHz--- range of tuning around a center frequency. You would probably need to do comparisons between the schematic for the 32RS1 and other S line radios--especially the KWM-2 or receiver / transmitter transceiver combinations to know how to make it happen and where to tap into the circuit.

Norm