Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Sat 22, 2018 4:18 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: HW-16, How to turn a recap into a project
PostPosted: Feb Sat 24, 2018 11:55 pm 

pixellany wrote:
Learned a new word here---"dekit". I should have known this, since it is what I do with ~ 50% of the radios I refurbish.

I start with an inspection---looking for dirt, damage, access to all the parts, etc. There is a "tipping point" when I decide that there is going to be a major teardown. Once this point is past, many tasks get hugely easier.

Going down this road requires good notes and lots of pictures as it comes apart.

The HW-16 is well documented.

Dekit is on the internet so it has to be a real word. :mrgreen: I'm going back together with it. The circuit board is restored and installed. There's not much left to do <-- famous last words... I'm finding out that "not much" takes a while to do :)

NE5U

Mike

PostPosted: Feb Sun 25, 2018 12:03 am 

:/ Actually... 5nF is an available size. I still haven't gotten used to nano and pico...

NE5U

Mike

PostPosted: Feb Sun 25, 2018 12:17 am 

Mike6158 wrote:
WoodchuckTN wrote:
Mike, don't you mean 0.0047?

Oops, I sure did. I corrected it. Do you know what voltage rating? My "guess" is 50V but I don't want to guess :)

No, I don't know.

My job is simply to criticize, not to actually help! :twisted:

Seriously, I don't have a schematic and am still on my way home from Florida. (More excuses to follow as time permits.)

"The question is not what you look at, but what you see." Thoreau

PostPosted: Feb Sun 25, 2018 2:17 am 

Would go w/1kv. Now days there pretty small in size. NF phooey!!!!

Terry N3GTE

PostPosted: Feb Sun 25, 2018 3:23 am 

Gotta watch out, I guess sometimes the crystals in the IF filter go bad and then you have a problem. I had one I got for fifteen bucks. Receive was stone deaf. Started looking for bad tubes, nope, then checked Voltages and resistors for drift. Found a 1 Meg resistor reading open in the second IF convertor, I think it was. After the crystal filter. That was killing RX. Then, audio output seemed very low to me. Turn up volume past moderate and it would distort heavily. Finally replaced a couple drifted resistors in the audio and that helped some. Never got it to be LOUD but got sufficient clean audio for indoor use. Tried several audio output tubes. To me, they seem to have used an odd tube for an audio stage. The transmitter had a good final, I think it was able to put out a solid 40 watts or so.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 25, 2018 3:30 am 

WoodchuckTN wrote:
Mike6158 wrote:
WoodchuckTN wrote:
Mike, don't you mean 0.0047?

Oops, I sure did. I corrected it. Do you know what voltage rating? My "guess" is 50V but I don't want to guess

No, I don't know.

My job is simply to criticize, not to actually help! :twisted:

Seriously, I don't have a schematic and am still on my way home from Florida. (More excuses to follow as time permits.)

:shock: :lol: :lol:

It's good to be good at something :)

I have the schematic but not everything has voltages. The caps I'm asking about are all decoupling caps.

My post had too many smilies (max of 6)? I'd put a smile at the end but then I'd probably get the same message

NE5U

Mike

PostPosted: Feb Sun 25, 2018 3:41 am 

PS, it's cheap enough to just use 1kV 5nF caps and be done with it. So that's the route I'm going to take. Thanks for the comments!

NE5U

Mike

PostPosted: Mar Mon 05, 2018 1:33 am 

I'm back on my resin capacitor kick. I've done some research and based on Heathkit part numbers "resin" can mean mica or any other type of dipped capacitor. That's just nifty...

I also ran into, come to think of it, I DIDN'T run into a 3A 120VAC fuse. It had been left out. It was a glass tube that interrupted the 120VAC circuit going to the power transformer. Since I don't have it I want to use THIS. Does anyone see anything wrong with that?

I've started assembling the area where the coils are, aka IF section. There are quite a few resin caps on the parts list:

C11 and C12 look like mica caps per the photo in the manual and they are definitely not ceramic, maybe. AND when I compare the part number to the parts list for an SB-610 station monitor the same part number is called out as mica in the SB-610. Based on where they are in the schematic (across L10 and to ground) it seems logical for them to be mica.

Here's the photo that I took before disassembly and they look like Mica in it. It's a large photo. I circled the caps in red. I also noted the location of the fuse that I have to replace. Not because it wasn't there, because I don't have it. It might have broken. Not sure. It's not in the parts box / baggies.

At the moment I have ceramic caps installed there. One is a new 50V 39pF to replace the 36pF that's supposed to be there. That is coming out. The other is a 200pF ceramic, rated for higher voltage than the 39pF cap, but it's not supposed to be there so it's coming out.

Seems like I'm always ordering parts :)

NE5U

Mike

Last edited by Mike6158 on May Sun 06, 2018 6:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 2:49 am 

All that stressing was for nothing. I found the caps. They were right where I put them. :oops:

Moving right along

NE5U

Mike

Last edited by Mike6158 on May Sun 06, 2018 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mar Sat 10, 2018 6:35 pm 

Question

I'm at a point where I'm supposed to install an RF choke such that 1 lead passes through pin 11 to pin 3 of V9 (6GE5 Final) and the other lead ties to a terminal strip. The problem is, the choke is larger than the space between pin 11 and the terminal strip. It's the RF choke, middle left, above the large paper cap in this photo. The tube socket I used has pin 11 rotated clockwise one pin from the stock socket. I'm reconnecting by pin number in case that bothers someone.

Can I just connect to pin 3 and add a jumper between 3 and 11 without causing a problem?

NE5U

Mike

PostPosted: Mar Sat 10, 2018 7:08 pm 

This is handy

http://www.d8apro.com/heath3.htm

NE5U

Mike

PostPosted: Mar Sat 10, 2018 7:51 pm 

>Can I just connect to pin 3 and add a jumper between 3 and 11 without causing a problem?
Would think so. According to the pin out 3 and 11 are internally connected so neither are used as a tie point for something else.
More than you would ever want to know about the 6GE5:
http://vinylsavor.blogspot.com/2014/10/ ... -6ge5.html

GL
Terry N3GTE

PostPosted: Mar Sun 11, 2018 1:30 am 

That's a very interesting tube!

I couldn't see any other way to install it so I just added some buss wire between the two pins. Thanks for the confirmation.

NE5U

Mike

PostPosted: Mar Sun 11, 2018 11:44 pm 

There's light at the end of the tunnel :) (did I just hear a train whistle?)

I made it to the final wiring step

NE5U

Mike

PostPosted: Apr Sun 22, 2018 12:07 am 

Radioroslyn wrote:
Hey Ted,
If your not in much of a hurry I have a spare steel chassis (just have to strip it of parts, removed the power transformer to use in the DX-40). It's yours if you could send me the shipping costs. I'm a little surprised to hear that yours is copper plated. I think generally Heath quit copper plating their ham gear about 1956 or so.

Terry N3GTE

I picked up another HW-16 that has a copper chassis. I bought it without knowing that so it was a pleasant surprise. I bought it for the VFO that came with it. It's weird how eBay pricing goes. HW8 are flying off the shelves for $100 or more. Heathkit anything is crazy high... and then a Buy-It-Now shows up that defies logic.

Today was the day that I was going to finish the HW-16. Naturally the Laws of Vintage Restoration kicked in. What's that you say? You've never heard of the Laws of Vintage Restoration? Well, basically they are (feel free to add more):

(1) If you have a lot of parts, you will not have the part that you need to finish a project. This is an inverse log scale. The more you have, the more of what you need you won't have.
(2) If you have the part that you need you will not be able to find it.
(3) When you think you have found the part that you need, it will not have the right rating (Volts, Watts, etc).
(4) When you order the part that you need you will forget where you put it after it comes in.
(5) Once you have ordered the part that you need, it will magically appear on your bench in the place where you have looked at least 800 times.

So... here I am, waiting for a .001µF (aka 1nF, aka 1,000pF) 1.4kV capacitor to arrive. Since I just ordered 100 of them I expect to find it soon (see Law 5). All tubes are installed. Somewhere around here I have a Neon lamp. I still haven't installed one.

Can you see where the cap is missing from? :)

NE5U

Mike

Last edited by Mike6158 on May Sun 06, 2018 6:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Apr Sun 22, 2018 12:27 am 

Lookin good!!

Terry

PostPosted: Apr Sun 22, 2018 12:29 am 

Radioroslyn wrote:
Lookin good!!

Terry

Gracias. I think I may have overdone the "taking my time" part of the build :D

NE5U

Mike

PostPosted: Apr Sun 22, 2018 1:23 pm 

Mike,

Just wait until you get to the AALVR stage! (Age Aggravated Laws of Vintage Restoration) :D

Let's see, why did I order these capacitors...

"The question is not what you look at, but what you see." Thoreau

PostPosted: Apr Sun 29, 2018 11:58 pm 

I started testing today. No output :/ but I had a tone in the headset with a small signal input to the antenna and it was pretty close to the right frequency. I traced the lack of output to the 6CL6 driver tube. More specifically to the tube socket. I replaced the old shielded socket with a nice, ceramic, shielded 9-pin socket. I noticed that when I plugged the tube into the socket it wasn't very easy. When I was testing I noticed that the tube was cold. Uh oh, bad tube. Nope... tested very, very good on the Hickok and it heated up fine. That's when I figured out it was the socket. I guess I can put the old socket back in. That is not going to be fun. The driver is nestled down in some pretty tight quarters.

NE5U

Mike

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 59 posts ]  Moderator: Sandy Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3