Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sat 16, 2017 3:46 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Hammarlund SP-600 JX-7 Restoration
PostPosted: Nov Mon 06, 2017 12:27 pm 

Joe, No worries, I got it!!! Thats an early pic, a considerable amount of work was done after that one was taken. That pic was simply one of three, showing the routing of the white wire, AGC I think. This radio was a -17 and the "preferred" configuration by the guys who know, was the -10 or -14 as I remember, so I changed things accordingly while I was in there.

This radio had been "FIXED" several times across the years, and it took a lot of work to get it close to "stock". Thank goodness for the TM11-851 PUB.

Norm, EXCELLENT POINT, if you cant get to'em you can't tweek'em.

My deal was that somewhere in the assembly process, I lost about 30db of sensitivity. Turned out, I had put the jumper wires from the tuning cap into the holes on the lugs of the RF deck, but didn't solder the two ( or 3?) connections for the first stage. So there was just a fraction of a pF of coupling. Only spent half an hour or so on that one. :roll:

Mike

PostPosted: Nov Tue 07, 2017 5:34 am 

Those holes rang a bell! Maybe I've read about them somewhere? :? Either way, I was certain that Hammarlund must have incorporated some sort of way to gauge the alignment of the turret. Not that I needed it that badly!

Here's a pic of the turret position relative to the holes from eyeballing it alone:

Look how close that is! That's my proudest moment in this restoration thus far! :P

Anyway, the RF deck has been reinstalled. I cleaned the contact fingers with Deoxit before I put it back in. And yes, I was constantly checking the alignment access holes during the recap process to ensure that they were clear of obstructions.

My first SP-600 RF deck rebuild and it was just as hellish yet somehow enjoyable as everyone described it! I'm just glad I have a desoldering iron. It would've been a nightmare without one! In fact, during the recap I was using two different irons and my Hakko desoldering iron and when reinstalling it, I used a different iron with a curved tip to help get into the tight space between the RF deck and the variable capacitor. Those 16 wires to the VC seem a little excessive! :P

Here's a pic of the radio at the moment:

It's starting to look like a radio again! I just wish I could've fired her up after reinstalling the RF deck. I have had many radios in my short life, and I have a few at the moment, but none quite like this. She definitely seems like a champion band cruiser! I very much look forward to finding out.

You guys may notice that I replaced the replacement BNC connector with an N connector. No particular reason why. That's just what I had. Until lately, I never appreciated the solid, tight feel of the humble N connector. The connector is an old US Navy silver plated type that is as old as this radio, it just seemed fitting.

I noticed something on the RF deck that I had not noticed before. Or more likely, I noticed it but I didn't comprehend it at the time.

I just love seeing those little orange Signal Corps stamps! If a radio has that stamp on it, chances are I'll like it! That's part of the reason I didn't clean up the steel at all. I didn't want to ruin the vintage stamp!

Plenty more to do and plenty more to come. But for now, I should head to bed. I'll need this radio to help heat my house soon! Winter came earlier this year than the last few. Last year, it was almost double digits on Remembrance Day, and this year it'll be a -25 wind chill and half a foot of snow on the ground!

I hope you're all enjoying your local weather as much as I am!

PostPosted: Nov Tue 07, 2017 5:48 am 

Hi towble,

Marvelous job.

You have much greater patience than I. My compliments.

- Leigh

PostPosted: Nov Tue 07, 2017 5:50 am 

Oh, and I forgot! Thanks for all the hints and reminders and such everyone! I can be pretty forgetful, so they certainly help! :mrgreen:

How so, Leigh?

PostPosted: Nov Wed 08, 2017 11:52 pm 

I forgot something!

Nothing super important or anything. I just meant to give the RF deck a good cleaning with compressed air before I reinstalled it. I think it'll be alright though.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 09, 2017 12:30 am 

Towble,

The third time I put my RF deck back in the radio, I made sure all the connections were absolutely ready to go for a fourth or fifth time. That pretty much guaranteed I would not need those extra times. With tube base extenders a person can test the pins of the RF deck tubes without needing access below. Unfortunately, when a tube plate comes up with no B+ . . . . Then you need to really be sure it isn't the result of something not below the deck.

Norm

PostPosted: Nov Thu 09, 2017 3:41 am 

Norm Johnson wrote:
Towble,

The third time I put my RF deck back in the radio, I made sure all the connections were absolutely ready to go for a fourth or fifth time. That pretty much guaranteed I would not need those extra times. With tube base extenders a person can test the pins of the RF deck tubes without needing access below. Unfortunately, when a tube plate comes up with no B+ . . . . Then you need to really be sure it isn't the result of something not below the deck.

Norm

I hope I don't end up having to remove it again, but I might. I'd really like to get some of those extenders! But from what I've seen, they're not all that common and when you do find them, they're not cheap. I have some plugs for 4,5,7,8, and 9 pin tube sockets, I could make my own extenders. I just need to find the plugs.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 09, 2017 7:32 am 

I have purchased 7 and 9 pin tube extenders on ebay at very reasonable prices. ($10.00 to $15.00) for 2. They don't seem to come up very often.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 14, 2017 7:48 am 

Koby wrote:
I have purchased 7 and 9 pin tube extenders on ebay at very reasonable prices. ($10.00 to $15.00) for 2. They don't seem to come up very often.

I've seen them come up now and then, but all the times I've seen them, they sold for quite a bit. I think I will make my own if I find I need them.

It's been a while since I posted an update. I had a few busy days with my family insisting on celebrating my birthday...twice. I won $2 on a scratch ticket and used that to buy a 2nd scratch ticket, then won $2 on that one! I'm gonna put that towards another scratch ticket and I'm hoping I'll win at least $5 on that one! :P

Anyway, not much has been done to the radio since my last post. All I've done is replace the four capacitors in the IF transformers as well as clean up and reinstall their respective cans.

Here's a before pic:

And here's an after pic showing the new caps:

I can really see why they call them black beauty capacitors. They brighten things up very nicely! The replacement caps are not all that pretty. I also found some other .01uf caps I have that are about 1/4 the size of these Panasonic ones I am using despite having the same voltage ratings. I have to say, I'm a little skeptical of them though. I can't remember where I got them or what brand they are. I think I got them from Antique Electronic Supply a few years ago.

Anyway, here's a pic of the radio as it looks right now:

Still a lot to go. I'm right around that part in a restoration where I start to get bored. So I have to push through it and get the receiver working. That'll get me excited all over again and help me through the rest of it. My attention span is not the greatest. I find myself interested in too many things and tend to get sidetracked.

For example, I've recently been struck with an interest in amateur chemistry. I find myself especially intrigued by the glassware. All those different parts and their functions. I bought a few dozen pieces from China on eBay. I know that some places like Australia and Texas are pretty strict about people acquiring laboratory glassware. I'm not sure how it is here in Canada, I just hope the police don't suspect me of anything and feel the need to knock down my door. :roll:

Anyway, I guess I'll be moving on to the underside of the chassis soon. I really have to take a close look at things and make sure everything is wired correctly. Then once the power supply has been rebuilt, I'll be ready to fire this old girl up!

PostPosted: Nov Tue 14, 2017 12:14 pm 

Quote:
...attention span is not the greatest...AND...interested in too many things
I suspect there are a number of folks here that suffer from that affliction.

And, speaking of glassware, I bought this little test tube rack and tubes off the bay to store diodes, Zeners mostly, and, tap and drill "sets" for easy reference.

Mike

Last edited by Mikeinkcmo on Nov Tue 14, 2017 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 14, 2017 12:15 pm 

:mrgreen: OOPS :mrgreen:

Mike

PostPosted: Nov Tue 14, 2017 7:02 pm 

Mikeinkcmo wrote:
And, speaking of glassware, I bought this little test tube rack and tubes off the bay to store diodes, Zeners mostly, and, tap and drill "sets" for easy reference.

I've heard of people doing that before. Test tubes are actually about the only thing I didn't buy, but I'm thinking I will get a set eventually. They certainly would be useful for sorting stuff if nothing else.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 15, 2017 4:42 pm 

Let's see here, diodes in tubes are those now called 5U4? Lol

PostPosted: Nov Wed 15, 2017 5:47 pm 

Mike,

Great storage idea and it looks like a very neat solution to the storage problem.

Just don't drop and break them. In the 9th grade the chem teacher was a former college prof who had moved from Canada to take care of a relative on the Mississippi gulf coast. On the first day of class he made a big point out of not breaking any of the pyrex test tubes because he had gone through a lot to get the school to purchase them. Seconds later, my lab partner who i had known since the first grade, dropped the tube she was holding. The breaking sound was followed by dead silence and then the teacher/prof slammed an entire carton of them on the floor and stormed out. I figured I was going to be toast also due to guilt through association.

He turned out to be the best of a very good group of teachers I experienced in high school but to say he had a temper would be putting it mildly. But he was generally very nice in class and had a pretty decent sense of humor. A couple of weeks later my lab partner accidentally set her long hair on fire with the Bunsen burner and he referred to that event as "the revenge of the test tubes". He also told me maybe I was a little too hasty in putting out the fire :)

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Nov Thu 16, 2017 5:08 am 

Funny story Rodger, but these are plastic so I don't have to worry about breakage.

I think I only paid something like 9 bucks, on the bay, for the whole lot, including the rack.

Mike

PostPosted: Nov Thu 16, 2017 1:22 pm 

Excellent price Mike and after that experience I will always cringe a little when I see a nice test tube.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Dec Sat 16, 2017 5:15 am 

*blows off the dust*

It's been a while, eh? I don't even know what I've been doing the last month. I suppose things get busy around the holidays, but I can't even use that as an excuse seeing as I'm way behind on my Christmas shopping and I haven't really gotten anything else done either. But anyway, I'm back with a few updates on the SP-600.

I did do a little bit of work a few weeks ago. I replaced a few caps near the front right side of the receiver as well as one out of spec resistor. Other than that, I casually spun the tuning knob as I walked past it on my workbench daily but didn't do anything productive most of the time. Just a lot of reading about Tektronix oscilloscopes as I have purchased another one. A 317. Should be here soon. I should have spent that money on some decent wire for this radio, but what can I say?! I'm impulsive! And that 317 was just too beautiful to pass up!

I also played around with some of my glassware which is piling up and taking up more space than I anticipated. But it looks fancy!

I started again today just out of the blue. It's a cold December day and it's been snowing almost non stop since I got up this morning. What better way to warm myself up than to hover over a soldering iron!

I continued working on the right side from front to back. I did the 3.5MHz oscillator and the IF sections and things are looking pretty good.

There's a fair bit left to go including the rear of the receiver.

It sure is a rat's nest of components in there. Things are gonna be tricky. I can also see that there are a lot of modifications. Added components, removed components, the remnants of a few non factory cables, etc. That'll be a few weeks of working things out I think.

I also got around to fixing the broken tube sockets. Or more precisely, the tube socket collars. The actual sockets are in fine shape, but the original collars were badly corroded and cracked. They fell apart when I removed the tubes.

I had figured that I'd have to desolder the whole socket and replace them, but I dreaded doing that job. I bought some NOS Cinch brand, military grade 7 pin sockets on eBay and had planned to use those.

I wasn't sure if it would work, but I thought that perhaps I could just remove the collar from the NOS sockets and mount them over the original sockets. I used a small pair of end cutters to loosen the crimp of the collars on the sockets then just punched the sockets out with my fingers. I was worried that they wouldn't hold the sockets well enough not being crimped to them, but once they were installed (with new-ish 4-40 hardware) things seem to work perfectly. The sockets don't seem loose at all.

I'm very happy about this. It sure makes things a lot easier than I thought they would be.

Not a bad day's work in my opinion.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 16, 2017 5:42 am 

Good score on the sockets and excellent idea to facilitate the repair. Would a touch of carefully placed epoxy around/between metal rings and sockets be in order?

I well know how projects go, one is done in 2 or 3 days, while the next takes months, and it doesn't matter the amount of work needed for completion.

Mike

PostPosted: Dec Sat 16, 2017 6:49 am 

Mikeinkcmo wrote:
Good score on the sockets and excellent idea to facilitate the repair. Would a touch of carefully placed epoxy around/between metal rings and sockets be in order?

I well know how projects go, one is done in 2 or 3 days, while the next takes months, and it doesn't matter the amount of work needed for completion.

I got 55 of them for about a dollar each (Canadian dollar) if I remember correctly. Didn't seem like too bad a deal to me.

I considered putting some epoxy on them, but when I found they held firmly with clamping pressure alone, I figured it wasn't necessary. If I find that they loosen up over time, I can always add some later.

It seems to me that the most major factor determining how long a project will take is what necessary parts and tools I have on hand. I don't live in a very big city (about 13,000 people), so if I can't find something at a hardware store here, I have to order it online. Delays like that always seem to give me time to get distracted or lose interest in a project. Usually the lost interest returns eventually, but sometimes it's gone for good. Weird how that happens...

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 79 posts ]  Moderator: Sandy Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4