Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Fri 15, 2017 6:51 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: ICOM IC-22s squelch problem
PostPosted: Nov Wed 08, 2017 2:51 am 

A bit of an intermittent problem, where green light is solid and there is no sound whatsoever when adjusting volume or squelch. Then on lower channels 10 and below at least, other times I can get background noise and adjust both squelch and volume accordingly. All channels have been programmed at some point so there are no open channels.

Post subject: Re: ICOM IC-22s squelch problem
PostPosted: Nov Wed 08, 2017 5:02 am 

This means the PLL is not locked. You do realize that you can not program channels outside of 146-148 MHz, right?

There are some contact and solder joint issues on these rigs regarding the PLL's, see:

http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php?topic=54489.0

8 out of 10 of these rigs, when I run across them these days, have unlocked PLL's, for various reasons.

http://www.wb6nvh.com

PostPosted: Nov Mon 13, 2017 3:36 am 

There are only two usable channels that I can receive and transmit on: both are simplex 146.520 and 146.550. It takes some time for the channel to "stabilize" once selected, probably 1-2 minutes of intermittent white noise then squelch setting kicks in and I can transmit and receive. Radio is well warmed up but any switch movement (e..g. from high to low, simplex to Duplex A and B) and it goes through this intermittent noise again and then finally settles down. Touched all solder points with the iron, and lubricated switches.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 17, 2017 4:24 am 

One transistor (not original Q31) ran quite hot so I replaced it along with R141. Sketchy static gone now and all channels do lock, and squelch works as normal.
Started replacing some of those "tacks" on the synthesizer board which came out easier than I imagined. Thanks for the info. and links provided. Audio is really clear on this old transceiver.