Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise


It is currently Dec Sun 17, 2017 3:31 am


All times are UTC [ DST ]





Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 3 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: National NC 183D Refurb Job Finished
PostPosted: Nov Thu 16, 2017 9:34 am 
Member

Joined: Jul Thu 29, 2010 5:35 am
Posts: 832
Location: Simonton, Texas
[/img]
Attachment:
183 Front Before Refinishing.jpg
183 Front Before Refinishing.jpg [ 56.13 KiB | Viewed 273 times ]
I purchased this a couple of years ago at the Brazos Valley Ham Fest. It had been partially recapped but the sheet metal
was in poor condition and the CWO control was wobbly and it had no bottom cover so I decided to do my first metal refinish job. I found a suitable color paint at the auto parts store called Cast Coat Iron (Dupli.Color DE1651) which matched the original color closely. I removed the radio from the case and went to work. I sanded down the sheet metal and sprayed it down with primer. I then wet sanded the primed metal with 600 grit sand paper. Following the direction on the can I sprayed the unit using 2 light coats and then followed up with one heavier wet coat. While I let the main part dry a couple of days I wet sanded the top and rear panels and sprayed them with clear over the Cast Iron color paint. I then attempted to fill the indented nomenclature with white paint letting it dry a while and then wiping off the excess. This did not provide good results so I sanded the front down again and repainted it. I tried filling the lettering in with a lack stick and that did not work for me either. So I painted the front again. This time I used my P-Touch labeler and labeled everthing with white on clear labels. (Success) I then sanded it with 500 grit and shot it with clear using the same directions on the can. (Pictures Below) The CWO shaft was wobbly because the ceramic plate supporting the variable cap was broken soI found a piece of fiber glass circuit board material about the same thickness and manufactured a new support for the capacitor. (Pictures below) I replaced a few caps and out of spec resistors in the audio output section and I then performed an alignment using a downloaded manual. For the bottom I used a piece of aluminum from the scrap pile which I painted the same color as the rest of the unit. I reassembled it tonight and I am happy whit the results.[*]


Attachments:
CWO Variable Cap Broken Ceramic Mount.jpg
CWO Variable Cap Broken Ceramic Mount.jpg [ 39.95 KiB | Viewed 273 times ]
CWO Variable Cap Repair.jpg
CWO Variable Cap Repair.jpg [ 45.86 KiB | Viewed 273 times ]
After Front And Top 2.jpg
After Front And Top 2.jpg [ 60.46 KiB | Viewed 273 times ]

_________________
Knowledge is useless unless you can share it. KA5OBI
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: National NC 183D Refurb Job Finished
PostPosted: Nov Thu 16, 2017 11:57 am 
Member

Joined: Oct Sun 15, 2006 12:57 pm
Posts: 5320
Looks great, nice work!!

The 183 is a very nice looking receiver and they perform well.

_________________
Bold text & pics are usually links.

Mike


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: National NC 183D Refurb Job Finished
PostPosted: Nov Thu 16, 2017 12:20 pm 
Member

Joined: May Thu 04, 2017 1:08 pm
Posts: 160
Location: Raleigh, NC area
Nice job. Lot of work on the paint! Now it's going to want to be on TOP of that boat anchor wall behind it!


Top
 Profile  
 
Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 3 posts ]  Moderator: Sandy

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: atwaterkentsrus, BrassCat, MDMcCool, Sandy, WoodchuckTN and 6 guests



Search for:
Jump to:  


















Privacy Policy :: Powered by phpBB