Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 18, 2017 11:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Heathkit HR-10B Restoration
PostPosted: Nov Fri 24, 2017 9:53 pm 

Afternoon everyone. I hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving.

I've been working on fully restoring one of the two Heathkit HR-10B receivers I have. I have it 99% restored,
still working on the front panel decals. I'm using Windows 10 Word starter to make the decals. Still working
on them so it will be a week or so before I'll be ready to print and apply them to the front and rear panels.

I have thoroughly enjoyed restoring the HR-10B receiver. The receiver did not have the original dial pointer
nor did it have the HRA-10-1 100Khz calibrator. I couldn't find an original dial pointer so I found a suitable
replacement which was not Heathkit and it is not Red but it works very well. I found a HRA-10-1 calibrator
on eBay and it should be here, hopefully, tomorrow so I can work on getting it up and working.

The link below is a video showing the receiver working. The decals on the front panel have not been made.
I'm working on making them and hope to have them installed by next week.

http://w5rkl.com/restoration-page-2/

I uploaded 3 videos showing the various test stages. The video links are Blue and at the top of the
above website link. I am aware the Green paint I used is not Heathkit Green but for me, it's okay.

Post subject: Re: Heathkit HR-10B Restoration
PostPosted: Nov Sun 26, 2017 7:58 pm 

Very nice work. I have had it in the back of my mind to do the same thing with a HW-101 (My first HF rig) and since I never built a Heakthkit Kit, tear it down and rebuild with modern components like you have done. Thanks for posting. Since the HW-101 is of similar construction as the GR91 (also on your site) how did the circuit board fair with reworking it? The only Heathkit circuit boards I have experience with was the from the VTVM that I worked on and it seemed like if you looked at it with a soldering iron in your hand the traces fell off, lol.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 26, 2017 10:25 pm 

The PC board can, if not abused with heat when initially built, fair okay.
The original GR91 builder did okay but there were a lot of solder blobs.
When removing component, pulling the leads from the component side can
cause problems with the PC foil runs so you just have to be aware of that.

When I remove a component lead from a PC board, I heat the hole then use
a solder sucker on the component side to remove the solder, not on the foil
side. This removes all the solder from the hole without damaging the foil side.
The HW-101 has a lot of wiring on the "foil side" of the PC boards. Use as little
heat as possible to remove the wiring. I can't say for sure but you should pay
attention to the wire colors. Over time, the color can fade and a "Light Green"
looks like a "light Blue". Just take your time and before you start, make sure you
have the full HW-101 assembly manual with all the fold outs etc. Every restoration
I have done I make sure I have the paper copy of the full assembly manual.

I've been making and applying decals to the HR-10B this afternoon. I've got
80% of them made and applied. The difficult part is the dark Green area below
the dial, where the other controls are. I may have to make a large decals with
control shaft holes and lettering. I just haven't decided how I'm going to do it.

Here's a link to my restoration project #2 web page with pictures showing the
decals I've applied so far.

I picked up an HRA-10-1 100Khz calibrator on eBay. Cleaned and painted the
calibrator's chassis then applied decals to the calibrator.

I use Microsoft Windows 10 Starter Word to make the decals. The decals are
not exactly how Heathkit silk screened the panels etc but they look rather good.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 30, 2017 1:59 am 

Hi Mike,

The chassis looks great. I'm going to get a can of the Rustoleum Satin Nickel. The Copper Metallic that you used on one of your other rigs, I found to be available in a pack of six or more. Even Amazon has the Satin Nickel, if Walmart or Home Depot don't. This is for my completely disassembled HW-16 that *had* the really bad copper plated chassis which has been sitting in the closet, preserved in primer. This will get me working on it again.

Please, more info on the decals.

Ted, KX4OM

PostPosted: Dec Sat 16, 2017 6:22 pm 

The full restoration of my Heathkit HR-10B ham band receive is complete.
I ended up having to replace the original front panel with one that was in very good
physical condition except for a small hole drilled above the CAL RESET label. I was
also able to find an original HR-10B RED dial pointer. The front panel and RED dial
pointer were thanks to Tom at hayseedhamfest.com.

The full HR-10B restoration, including stages of restoration, can be seen by clicking
the following link the viewing the various pictures.

I've changed the method used to label the control area controls. Since making White
decals using an Ink Jet or Laser printer is not possible, I switched to dry transfer
characters. I haven't started with dry transfer characters yet but hope to after the
first of the year.

I have not decided what my next full restoration project will be. I have given some
thought of fully restoring a Heathkit DX60 but for now I'm taking a break.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 16, 2017 8:04 pm 

w5rkl wrote:

I've changed the method used to label the control area controls. Since making White
decals using an Ink Jet or Laser printer is not possible, I switched to dry transfer
characters. I haven't started with dry transfer characters yet but hope to after the
first of the year.

Hello Mike.

Why can't you make white decals using a laser printer? There was a discussion a few months ago (a year ago) about the Pantum printers (about $30 with free shipping at the time) for direct pcb printing rather than printing on paper then toner transfer. At any rate, that discussion traversed into printing the parts designation silk screen on top of the board. Someone mentioned that you can get white toner for laser printers. Granted I don't know how practical that would be as it would not get used much compared to black toner but it is an option so it could be used to make white decals. I have never tried it but thought the conversation was interesting.

Good luck with your next restoration.

Jim