Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sun 17, 2017 8:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Zenith Transoceanic and AN/GRR-5....Not sure what I have
PostPosted: Nov Mon 27, 2017 12:30 am 

Greetings!
I'm new to this forum and a newbie when it comes to S/W radio.
I was fortunate enough to find these items at a local GW store. The Transoceanic 600L works well ( I know I should not have plugged it up but I couldn't resist) but I really have no idea what I have with the military radio. Clearly the power supply is not original but does it look like it would work with the AN/GRR-5? The receiver, power supply, booklet and headphones were packaged together. The set looks to be in pretty good condition.
I appreciate any help.
Thanks, Ron

Post subject: Re: Zenith Transoceanic and AN/GRR-5....Not sure what I have
PostPosted: Nov Mon 27, 2017 2:24 pm 

The Angry 5 is a nice receiver. The last one I worked on needed a lot of 1U4 tubes, if my memory is correct.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 27, 2017 3:10 pm 

Ron,

Both of these are good shortwave receivers and both should be gone through so they will operate reliably without damage. There is a lot of information about restoring both of these on the web and although they aren't the simplest sets out there both are doable as learning projects as long as you take your time.

I would start with the Transoceanic and address needed capacitor replacements along with other restoration. There are a lot of good sites out there with lots of information, for example this one: http://143.95.77.243/~elmphoto/radios/radio11.htm

The AN/GRR-5 is a cool little military set and is also well worth restoring. Post a photo of the power supply if you can which may give us a better idea of what you have. You will find plenty of info on this set on the web also and you will either love or hate the looks but properly restored it performs quite well.

Good luck with your radios and welcome to the forum!

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Nov Mon 27, 2017 4:49 pm 

Johnny, Alan and Rodger,

Thanks for your responses. I truly appreciate it. I tried twice posting images but to no avail. I hit browse...select a file...and then hit "add the file".
It seems like something happens after the image downloads, but apparently not. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks, Ron

PostPosted: Nov Mon 27, 2017 5:05 pm 

Ron,

For uploading images to this site they cannot be over 800X600 pixels and the file size needs to be limited (254K) if I recall correctly. I use IrFanview to view/resize images; it is a free download and works very well. One of the options is to set saved file size limits to those acceptable to this and other forums.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Nov Mon 27, 2017 5:39 pm 

Thanks, Rodger,

I'll try that.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 27, 2017 7:34 pm 

Thanks for the help. I think the pics worked this time.
I'm most curious about whether you think the power supply would work with the receiver.

Thanks, Ron

Attachments:
IMG_1275.JPG
IMG_1275.JPG [ 102.51 KiB | Viewed 514 times ]
IMG_1277.JPG
IMG_1277.JPG [ 114.32 KiB | Viewed 514 times ]
IMG_1290.JPG
IMG_1290.JPG [ 105.46 KiB | Viewed 514 times ]
IMG_1292.JPG
IMG_1292.JPG [ 92.68 KiB | Viewed 514 times ]
IMG_1287.JPG
IMG_1287.JPG [ 69.49 KiB | Viewed 514 times ]
IMG_1288.JPG
IMG_1288.JPG [ 83.66 KiB | Viewed 514 times ]
IMG_1293.JPG
IMG_1293.JPG [ 84.31 KiB | Viewed 514 times ]
IMG_1297.JPG
IMG_1297.JPG [ 99.16 KiB | Viewed 514 times ]
IMG_1296.JPG
IMG_1296.JPG [ 73.81 KiB | Viewed 514 times ]
IMG_1299.JPG
IMG_1299.JPG [ 112.77 KiB | Viewed 514 times ]

PostPosted: Nov Mon 27, 2017 8:53 pm 

As you know, that power supply has no original relation to the receiver. It is for a Vietnam era teletypewriter machine. That being said, it has the potential (no pun intended) of running the receiver if modified and added to. I never paid much attention to GRR-5 "gas attack warning" receivers but there was a big power supply with speaker that formed the bottom half of a two part setup. The power connections to the receiver were made by a connector on its rear apron, that mates with one on the cabinet. You don't have the outer cabinet? If not, you have some homebrewing ahead of you.

The original power supply was a can of worms, to be kind. It was capable of running from several input voltages and as I recall ran the vibrator in it even on 117 V AC operation. I think it had ballast tubes or a ballast tube in it too. If I had one, I would use it, but otherwise I would just make a modern design power supply with some three-terminal regulators.

You have the manual so you can work out what voltages you need, probably filament, B+ and maybe a bias voltage. And maybe one or two others just to vex the person trying to build a power supply at home.

The GRR-5 was like a Trans Oceanic "on steroids" as it has often been called.

http://www.wb6nvh.com

PostPosted: Nov Mon 27, 2017 11:14 pm 

Thanks for that information, although not what I was hoping to hear. The mods seem quite a bit above my pay grade. I think I'll probably just return it to GW and settle for being happy with my transoceanic...maybe build a battery compartment.

Thanks, Ron

PostPosted: Nov Mon 27, 2017 11:20 pm 

The original power supply for the AN/GRR-5 was the PP-308 and was mounted underneath the receiver. It was complex, but flexible. It could use 6v, 12v, 24v, mains and dry battery inputs. It also housed the speaker.
https://antiqueradio.org/art/angrr503.jpg

PostPosted: Nov Tue 28, 2017 12:14 am 

I am thinking you could sell it on here for a lot more than you paid Goodwill...

http://www.wb6nvh.com

PostPosted: Nov Tue 28, 2017 12:45 am 

The AN/GRR-5 could operate directly from a dry battery pack which would supply the needed voltages of +1.4V, +90V, and -4.2V so the supply you have may have been configured to work with the radio but you would want to go over it thoroughly and then check the voltage output before trying to hook the two together and you would also need to supply load resistors to test the supply separately. It isn't terribly difficult for someone familiar with basic electronics but that wouldn't be a good first project.

Note that it is very easy to "blow" these low filament voltage battery tubes if you make any mistakes and that is also true of your Transoceanic. Be very careful with test leads in any powered up equipment but particularly in these types of radios because a brief short from B+ to filament will take out the tube in a blink of the eye.

As Geoff suggested you could likely sell it easily given the typical GW pricing on items.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Nov Tue 28, 2017 2:07 am 

I appreciate all the advice.
I really would like to try and make this work. I contacted a gentleman, Terry L. who used to have a vintage radio shop here in Lexington KY.
Maybe he'll take a look at it.

Thanks, Ron

PostPosted: Nov Tue 28, 2017 7:45 pm 

Thank you for all the advice.
I found this piece of paper among the paperwork that came with the AN/GRR-5 receiver. Do you think that it might suggest a modification to the power supply was already made?

Thanks, Ron

Attachments:
IMG_1301.JPG
IMG_1301.JPG [ 85.83 KiB | Viewed 378 times ]
IMG_1302.JPG
IMG_1302.JPG [ 88.57 KiB | Viewed 378 times ]
IMG_1303.JPG
IMG_1303.JPG [ 82.73 KiB | Viewed 378 times ]
IMG_1304.JPG
IMG_1304.JPG [ 79.45 KiB | Viewed 378 times ]

PostPosted: Nov Wed 29, 2017 1:33 am 

Following that schematic would resulting in a workable power supply for the AN/GRR-5 but it doesn't match up with the components available on the power supply in the photo. That doesn't mean the Kleinschmidt supply couldn't be rebuilt into something that would likely power the receiver but it definitely does not have the transformer values needed to go with that schematic and it appears to have a multiple tapped selenium rectifier in place.

It wouldn't be that difficult or expensive to recreate the supply in that schematic although from an expense standpoint I would start with finding a transformer with reasonable voltages for the task and design from there rather than trying to find that specific transformer. Other alternatives include the convenient ARBE-III battery eliminator if you are likely to add more battery powered radios: http://www.arbeiii.com/

Or if you want to be truly portable ten 9 volt batteries connected in series by snapping their terminals together will supply the B+ and a D cell for the filaments ("A" battery) will run the radio for 20 hours or so.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Nov Wed 29, 2017 9:25 pm 

I would simply use an isolation transformer for the B+, and a 6 volt transformer with a rating of a couple of amps or so for the filament supply in that schematic.

The TTY power supply you have could be modded to work also. That's probably what the previous owner was going to do.

Whatever you do, do NOT return that thing to Goodwill. Someone here will want it if you don't. It is a very collectable receiver.

I would love to have a Goodwill like you have there. An AN-GRR5 and a Leather-clad TO both purchased from the same place? Such a deal!

PostPosted: Nov Wed 29, 2017 11:36 pm 

OK...I won't return it, but I don't think they were the typical GW prices that you're thinking of. The Zenith TO was 60.00 and the An/Grr5 and supply was 80.00.

Thanks, Ron