Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 11, 2017 5:06 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Dow Key relays......
PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 7:02 pm 

Rodger: flip-digit Telechron, absolutely iconic. Great add.

Rob: I certainly appreciate the role of the inverted-vee as you describe it. I guess I was thinking of iconic less in terms of importance than of instant visual recognition. All of your other suggestions nicely satisfy that admittedly vague standard.

I'm tempted to add the TO keyer. There was a time when EVERYBODY knew what that was. I finally got one back in the '80s, I think it was. It had a few problems, and I never learned that you absolutely cannot successfully troubleshoot a device with a mercury-wetted relay upside down or even on its side.

Post subject: Re: Dow Key relays......
PostPosted: Dec Fri 08, 2017 5:26 pm 

Avery,

The TO keyer is a great suggestion. Those flashing neon lights would add interest to any vintage setup.

Once you go beyond the 80 meter doublet to directional antennas for the higher bands you need an antenna rotor and controller. By the time I came along it was the Ham series from CDE (later bought by Hy Gain) with the big meter and three buttons and for best longevity the operator had to remember to let the antenna coast down before releasing the center brake button; something that was often overlooked during contests.

Rodger WQ9E

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 22 posts ]  Moderator: Sandy Go to page Previous  1, 2