Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Tue 19, 2018 2:59 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Breting 14 Q?
PostPosted: May Tue 01, 2018 10:59 pm 

hi friends,

i found a complete (but dirty) Breting 14 locally ... i'll post picks asap.

had it upside down and was turning band switch knob when dial cord became slack and i had a loose ball bearing on work bench!
where does that guy go?

i DO have diagram of how to string dial cord btw.

thanks,
mike

Post subject: Re: Breting 14 Q?
PostPosted: May Wed 02, 2018 2:50 am 

Nice find, would like to see pics!

KD2AZI

PostPosted: May Wed 02, 2018 2:20 pm 

Yes, please post pictures. Those are great receivers.

Someone here has that model (Rodger?), so hopefully you'll get the information you need. With bandswitches, you can usually see where the bearing should go. Often, there are two of them on opposite sides of the switch. The good news is that you have the bearing. If it was me, it would have rolled off onto the floor and hidden in that place where all my missing parts go to hide.

PostPosted: May Wed 02, 2018 2:30 pm 

Check the tuning cap also because the first one I acquired had the beautiful mirror glass front destroyed in shipping when a hard hit bounced the rotor loose from its thrust bearing and sent parts through the glass front. It came UPS through their notorious Dallas hub and it was the only ebay item I have had to return due to shipping damage AND it was very well packed but it took a big enough hit that double boxing with 6 inches of foam between the inner and outer boxes didn't protect it properly.

I found bearings from the variable cap assembly rolling throughout the box mixed in with glass shards. When I unpacked it the poor set looked like a poor attempt at a home built fragmentation bomb.

They are a very neat receiver and one of those, like the early RME receivers, that has no control markings on the panel. Congratulations upon a nice find.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: May Thu 03, 2018 6:53 pm 

hi fellas, sorry for late reply.

been trying to clean radio up a bit. carefully took band drum off to clean and to access other areas of radio to clean and lubricate. had it reinstalled and working GREAT when string snapped! i'm now faced w/ how to repair: there's around 4" from drum remaining. i suspect old string is knotted within drum. because of where break occurred i don't think i can crimp a new string to old as a crimp will interfere w/ operation ... i wonder if i can get end cap off (and rubber "tire" that's over cap) and if i can slide old string out of drum via seam or do i cut old string off and try epoxying new directly adjacent to old onto drum?

is this radio a "14" or "14AX" ?

btw bearing was from band switch and is what helps creat "stop" at each band.

finally, does anyone have a component list (specifically capacitors) for this radio, on hand? replacing caps next!

enclosed a few before and currently pictures. original dial mirror long gone i suppose. what's here now is definitely home made (original owner included his initials!) top cabinet was painted green w/ house paint!

best regards,
mike

PostPosted: May Thu 03, 2018 7:15 pm 

The tube lineup between the 14 and 14AX is slightly different. If you find a 6H6 tube inside then you have a 14 and if it contains a 6C5 it is a 14AX.

I don't have much information on either. I have a 14 schematic but no 14AX schematic and no capacitor list for either.

The 14AX has 14AX on the mirror glass front, photo below is my 14AX. The regular 14 just has 14; I haven't gotten a photo of mine since I acquired it because it is awaiting its time on the bench.

Rodger WQ9E

Attachments:
Breting 14AX small.jpg
Breting 14AX small.jpg [ 181.14 KiB | Viewed 356 times ]

PostPosted: May Thu 03, 2018 11:29 pm 

The Solution : )

PostPosted: May Thu 17, 2018 9:50 pm 

hi friends,
Breting 14 came to me w/ power cord cut but no evidence of major trauma. I recapped radio and installed new power cord. I soon realized switched pot that turns radio on was bad so i've temprarily bypassed it. Radio fired right up which was nice but it's not receiving hardly at all. On broadcast band there are a dozen or so high powered stations that'll come through but their audio is distorted. one other band receives static but only within a certain segment. other three bands are dead. i've tried subbing fresh 6k7s around radio w/ no luck. its interesting how value of dogbone resistors in radio doesn't match hardly at all w/ schematics i have available. if theres something clearly seen out of place in enclosed pics please let me know. all ears re- suggestions. i do have a phone call in to a local ham.
best regards,
mike
Attachment:
IMG_3155.jpg
IMG_3155.jpg [ 175.55 KiB | Viewed 210 times ]

Attachments:
IMG_3157.JPG
IMG_3157.JPG [ 202.65 KiB | Viewed 212 times ]
IMG_3156.jpg
IMG_3156.jpg [ 92.99 KiB | Viewed 210 times ]