Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 18, 2017 10:01 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: S-38 Speaker Replacement
PostPosted: Nov Tue 01, 2005 10:13 pm 

Just curious. The S-38 I am working on has the speaker cone virtually disintegrated into dust. I know it can be repaired but it seems like an awful lot of work for a radio that I do not intind to stay completely original on. I noticed it is a magnet(?) speaker. Can I replace this with a much newer speaker, then, since there are not field coils? Also, what is the impedance? 4 ohm? 8 ohm?<P>Thanks,<BR>David<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Nov Tue 01, 2005 10:22 pm 

Hello,<P>Speaker impedance is 3.2 ohms. It should be on the parts list page 5! And it is a PM speaker, no problem replacing with a new one!<P>Here's the schematic <A HREF="http://www.pennswoods.net/~n3gov/S-38/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.pennswoods.net/~n3gov/S-38/</A> <P>Steve<P>------------------<BR>I'm getting better at this!<P>"Anything the human mind can concieve it can achieve" <P>Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Nov Wed 02, 2005 4:51 am 

I tend to run mine on an external speaker for better sound. It's an 8 ohm Radio Shack Minimus. <P>Any speaker that fits the mounts will work, just be sure the cone does not extend past the gasket at higher volumes. Some modern drivers are designed for mounting on the outside of the enclosure and don't have much of a gasket on their fronts.<P>-Ed<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Nov Fri 04, 2005 9:02 pm 

If that's the case, glue a few thick cardboard strips on the original gasket of your new speaker to give you the depth you need.<BR>Provided,of course,that the back of the magnet assy clears the deck of the chassis.<P>------------------<BR>Antique Radio Repair Service<BR>Freeport,Long Island,NY<BR> 11520<BR>"Resistance may be futile but capacitance has potential"

PostPosted: Nov Fri 04, 2005 11:24 pm 

I may already have a speaker. And I definately have a neoprene type material that would make a good gasket. Thanks.<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Nov Sat 05, 2005 7:23 am 

I was able to patch my original speaker so it works but I find it sounds really good with external speakers. I had a couple of old radio shack 6" 50w 8 ohm speakers sitting around so I use them hooked in parallel for 4 ohm. <P>------------------<BR>Knowledge gained and not shared is wasted.<P><BR>Doug Herigstad

Post subject: Re: S-38 Speaker Replacement
PostPosted: Dec Sat 02, 2017 7:30 am 

The speaker inside my S-38C was in a sad state with a 1" high 63 year old dust bunny sitting on the cone. I see earlier in the thread that the speaker in the S-38 is 3.2 ohms, does that mean I can safely replace it with a similar size 4 ohm car speaker I have sitting around? Seems close enough, does the Wattage on the car speaker make a difference.
George1

Post subject: Re: S-38 Speaker Replacement
PostPosted: Dec Sun 03, 2017 1:18 am 

4 ohms is fine, speaker wattage a non-issue in this use.
-Ed