Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Wed 24, 2017 1:34 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Silvertone 4769 teledial woes.
PostPosted: May Sun 14, 2017 9:47 pm 

Ok so I posted on here a while back and did not get any replies. So either it is a nightmare to restring, or nobody has ever done one.
I have some bronze dial cord and am trying to figure out the string, and wondering if I should take off the tuning cap with the teladial attached and try and string
it that way, as leaving it attached to the chassis is a night mare. Any suggestions as to the best way to re string this thing?

Thanks, and God bless.

Mike

Post subject: Re: Silvertone 4769 teledial woes.
PostPosted: May Mon 15, 2017 6:51 pm 

This thread MAY be of some help. But in my case, I started with the cable in place, then disassembled the mechanism for cleaning and lubrication. I do have other photos. Good luck, not a fun project.
http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=304536

PostPosted: May Tue 16, 2017 8:01 pm 

mjohansson2 wrote:
I have some bronze dial cord and am trying to figure out the string, and wondering if I should take off the tuning cap with the teladial attached and try and string it that way, as leaving it attached to the chassis is a night mare. Mike

Yes, it is a nightmare, but the tuning capacitor and teledial mechanism, as well as the dial pointer support has to be in place. I documented the process in my write-up. Make sure your tuning capacitor mounting grommets are OK and the capacitor is not flopping around.

Do you have the original bronze cables, or are you starting with new cable stock? To me (and I am no expert) the three cables are of critical length with knots or loops. It appears that these cables were not designed to be replaced (except perhaps using replacements from the manufacturer). Unfortunately I did NOT measure the three cables. Perhaps someone on the Forum has a parts chassis with intact cables, or knows the lengths if you do not have your original cables.

PM me with your address if you would like a copy of my sketches restringing procedure. My scanner is not working.

PostPosted: May Wed 17, 2017 4:50 am 

I have the Sears Service Manual for that model. Send your email address in a PM and let me know the largest file total that can be sent to your server at a time. There are 28 files totaling 65mb. The 28 pages will show you anything you may ever want to know about the radio. If I have time, I will see if I can reduce the file sizes some.

PostPosted: May Sat 20, 2017 12:30 am 

Hello all sorry I did not get back with any of you as my computer was down for a few days after a power failure.

So .... I have the radio working, an now for the third time I have taken the whole front end dial assembly off as I can not get the fine tuning adjuster to work, is there just some kind or rubber washer to make contact and that is how the fine adjuster works?
I got the rear tuning cap dial strung, using some old stock bronze wire, one piece works but they overlap.
I have few questions. my

e-mail is mjohansson48@yahoo.com

Thanks, and God bless.

PostPosted: May Sat 20, 2017 11:58 am 

mjohansson2 wrote:
I can not get the fine tuning adjuster to work
Are you referring to adjusting the individual push buttons on station? If so, a KEY is required, which is described in the documentation in Nostalgia Air/Riders if not with the radio. It is easily fabricated out of thin metal - file until it fits in the slot of the buttons (after removing the cover). Do you have the documentation from Bugman?

PostPosted: May Sat 20, 2017 1:21 pm 

28 pages on the way. Everything you may want to know about the radio and more.

PostPosted: May Sun 21, 2017 1:53 am 

Thank you folks for the documentation, should help. The fine adjuster is the shaft in the center of the teledial and when you push on it, it does slide back and turn a gear and come into direct contact with the tuning capacitor dial. But will not turn the tuning cap. So I was wondering if there needs to be some kind of rubber washer for that to create friction to grab hold of?