Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Sat 17, 2018 7:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Speaker Rebuilding Solvents?
PostPosted: Nov Fri 09, 2018 2:44 pm 

I would like to remove the cone and spider of a 1950s Jensen speaker, and I am curious if any of the members here know what types of adhesive were used when new, and what would be the most suitable solvents? I would like to preserve the cone, the voice coil is beyond repair though.

Post subject: Re: Speaker Rebuilding Solvents?
PostPosted: Nov Fri 09, 2018 3:40 pm 

It's a paper cone, right? The solvent is gonna be a liquid. Paper and liquids (even fast evap) don't get along well. Compound this with the idea that the older the paper, the more fragile, and solvents are harsh to begin with.

I think your chances of not damaging the cone are low.

But then, I don't recone/repair speakers for a living, so take that 2 cents for what it's worth. :)

PostPosted: Nov Fri 09, 2018 3:45 pm 

I've used acetone to dissolve speaker glue without damaging the cone. It works well for softening the glue to recenter a warped cone.

Jay

PostPosted: Nov Fri 09, 2018 3:53 pm 

The solvent will be acetone, if the bond is stubborn, then move to toluene. Do not soak the entire speaker, unnecessary and the fumes will be overpowering.

The solvents are managed with disposable polyethylene eyedroppers, either laboratory grade or China economy will work. The lab grade can be modified for a very tiny dispensing nozzle by pulling the nozzle with pliers, it will stretch and thin out, snip the crushed end to reopen.

Other solvents also work but they are harder to get, dangerous to use and/or extremely flammable :shock:

These are the eyedroppers I use:

Attachment:
100-Pack 0.2ML Disposable Eye Dropper Transfer Graduated Pipettes.jpg
100-Pack 0.2ML Disposable Eye Dropper Transfer Graduated Pipettes.jpg [ 11.51 KiB | Viewed 107 times ]

https://www.amazon.com/Disposable-Dropp ... B01C42BFVY

Apply solvent to the bond line and continue to apply until the bond gives way with a slight pull.

I make assembly jigs of MDF, PVC pipe and large dowels. The jig keeps the surround/cone aligned to the voice coil former so they remain perpendicular during adhesive cure. I highly recommend using G-C speaker cement, it's solvent is toluene.

All is off if someone has used modern super-glue or urethane adhesive.

Oh, the same eyedropper is used to apply the G-C adhesive in a thin line.

I re-cone for fun...

Re-post if you need other re-cone tips on vintage speakers...

YMMV

Chas

Last edited by Chas on Nov Fri 09, 2018 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 09, 2018 4:06 pm 

How about the bond between cone and voice coil? The last time I assembled a speaker, I used epoxy. I don't know if that was the norm in the 50s or 60s.

"It's always something". --Gilda Radner (1946 - 1989)

PostPosted: Nov Fri 09, 2018 6:31 pm 

I've used acetone to melt the adhesive. It's important to apply just enough to do the job... too much and the solvent can carry some of the dissolved adhesive to the voice coil channel where it will dry and interfere with voice coil movement. A small artist's brush (natural bristles) works well for this purpose.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 09, 2018 8:48 pm 

If the cone near the edge folds isn't perfect and at all dry rotted, you will blow it out when you use it. There are many places that will rebuild a Jensen, and do it properly. I have never heard of changing a voice coil and leaving the original cone intact, good luck on that. Try Weber for the speaker repair.