Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Fri 29, 2014 9:21 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Atwater Kent Kiel Table Radio
PostPosted: Dec Sun 11, 2011 5:53 pm 

I may have an opportunity to pick up an Atwater Kent Keil Table radio. According to the guy who has it, he has never used it as a radio only a table so he has no idea if it works. The only other AK I have worked on was my 40 which Norm and others helped me years ago get working.

The table looks good and is complete; all it needs is a good cleaning and polish. Radio looks complete including the speaker. I would like to know if there is anything out of the ordinary I should look at on this Model that might be a deal breaker.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Atwater Kent Kiel Table Radio
PostPosted: Dec Sun 11, 2011 6:48 pm 

Skip, As all AK of this area it has the potted filter and bypass caps.The only problem with the Kiel table I have seen is the shelf the radio is mounted on is not supported in the front and will bow down from the weight causing the control knobs to rub on the cabinet front.
Gordon

Last edited by gf1027 on Dec Mon 12, 2011 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 11, 2011 7:06 pm 

Skip, Here is a great AK site for repair info for Atwater Kent .The radio in the Kiel is either A model 55 (7 tube) or a model 60 (8 Tube)
http://www.atwaterkent.info/TechData/ak ... Index.html

Last edited by gf1027 on Dec Mon 12, 2011 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 11, 2011 8:14 pm 

The model 60 is an easy repair compared with the 40. Filter and bypass/coupling caps easily fit under the chassis.

Check the wire looking power resistors (these sometimes open) and dog bone resistors get way out of tolerance.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 11, 2011 11:54 pm 

Thanks guys. Looks to be a model 55 based on the tube count. Actually this is an ebay listing that is also now discussed in another thread. We will see on this as it is only about 4 hours away and I travel to Des Moines about once a month on buisness.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 12, 2011 1:10 am 

Skip, If this is the one on ebay, The only thing that stands out is the speaker is mounted upside down, Should be inside the table ( Had to patch many tears in my speaker). The one I have also has a metal shield over the front RF and detector section(may have been discontinued in later productions). Good price so far.I paid $100 for mine and The cabinets finish was half as nice as this one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/150717129711?ss ... 1423.l2649
Good luck on the auction, Gordon

Last edited by gf1027 on Dec Mon 12, 2011 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 12, 2011 1:46 am 

One thing you have to watch out for on these is burned out antenna coils. There is a connector near the bottom of each rear leg, you can see them in one of the photos. One is where the AC power cord plugs in. The opposite side is for the antenna and ground to plug in. Was fairly common for owners who didn't know any better to somehow end up with the AC power plugged into the wrong leg, and fry the antenna coil.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 12, 2011 1:56 am 

I think it's been refinished in a lighter stain. Mine and every other AK Kiel table I've seen are dark. The speaker is mounted upside down. It does have the front door knobs which are missing more often than not. $100 - $150 is a typical selling price.

Mine has the 55 chassis also and there is no cover over the RF section. I need to find a set of 55 radio knobs for mine still.
I use mine as a table to display a 1935 Zenith tombstone.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 12, 2011 4:40 am 

I have worked on a bunch of those chassis . About the only thing i have found to go bad are one or more resistors . Never had to replace any capacitors in one yet .