Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Feb Sat 25, 2017 10:12 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Pioneer SX-650
PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 4:27 am 

I am refurbishing TWO Pioneer Receivers for a customer. The other one is an SX-450, which pretty mundane compared to this one.

Here it is in pieces, waiting for the capacitor boat to come in. (This is before i decided to remove the main board.)
Attachment:
sx650_pieces.jpg
sx650_pieces.jpg [ 98.9 KiB | Viewed 211 times ]

These things are really well built, and really easy to get into for servicing. But, even with careful notes, it will be a bit of work to get it all back together.

Guess how many electrolytic capacitors?
Guess how many screws? (they seem like 4-40s, but they might be metric.)

"It's always something". --Gilda Radner (1946 - 1989)

Post subject: Re: Pioneer SX-650
PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 6:52 am 

What is the reason to dismantle it?

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 11:20 am 

In this case, two reasons:
It was incredibly dirty, and it was the easy way to clean it. Had some rust also.
Seemed almost impossible to get to several of the electrolytics.

The fact that it is so easy to take apart was certainly a factor.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 3:40 pm 

I own an SX-780 that I bought new, had to recently re-solder some Voltage Regulator transistor connections at the PC board, I understand that although they are heat-sinked they still run very hot.. Might want to check that if this receiver uses similar components. I am wondering if I should think about replacing any E-caps, given this is now 28 years old, but there are so many...

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 3:48 pm 

Just curious (being retired and now doing amp/phono repair and restoration like this)....What do you charge for a job like this? I feel I would have to charge at least $150(?) for the labor and parts. Most customers I deal with wouldn't go with that and just say forget it. Working SX-650's on eBay go for $125-$225...so I would assume you have to have the customer with deep pockets and specifically wanted this unit to work...Just trying to see what other techs out there determine as to what to charge for this type work. and if this is a 'typical' customer.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 4:24 pm 

For these, I did not charge enough. Next time, at least $200 plus parts. In re E-Bay sales, define "working".......

With the SX-450, I fired it up and it was dead except on a few strong stations. As I fiddled with it, it slowly came to life--accompanied by a lot of very strange noises.
I could visualize every electrolytic straining to reform and sort-of work. One filter cap was getting warm.
Quote:
I am wondering if I should think about replacing any E-caps, given this is now 28 years old, but there are so many...
I am on the fence for 20-ish stuff, but these go back to the 70s--therefore 40 years old. The 450 was pleading with me to recap it.

All the small electrolytics are cheap----the total for the 450 and 650 is well under $50, including the filters. With disassembly for cleaning, the cap replacement goes pretty quickly.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 4:45 pm 

Tbirdkid wrote:
..........and if this is a 'typical' customer.

I don't have any typical customers.......every situation is wildly different. In many cases, there is some kind of personal attachment.

I won't do a simple repair---one fifties Zenith came in working and apparently needed only two dial cords. I felt a little badly telling them I would not fix it with a complete checkout and recap.

With the Pioneers, i simply recommended the recap--I had already set the minimum labor price.

One thing I have learned is that future jobs will require a $100 deposit

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 7:02 pm 

Quote:
One thing I have learned is that future jobs will require a $100 deposit

I had an instance where a customer wanted a repair estimate on a 1950's RCA record player. I try to keep my prices fairly low, but always allow myself to recoup at least the parts price and some labor. To do a 'true' estimate, you have to almost fix the item (in this case, the record player) to get a good idea of what is needed to get it right. Anyway, I went thru all that, gave the estimate...and the customer said forget it (it actually was about the same price as I charged him on a similar player a few months earlier). I now charge a minimum shop fee $35 (refundable if customer agrees to do the work) to weed out the guys that are trying to get a cheap repair and flip the player on eBay. I didn't want to get caught up in becoming a free checkout service for the 'flipper' people.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 7:11 pm 

pixellany wrote:

With the SX-450, I fired it up and it was dead except on a few strong stations. As I fiddled with it, it slowly came to life--accompanied by a lot of very strange noises.

Your problem could also be with the Hitachi RF, IF and MPX Chips they used - they would fail oddly. Pioneer Service Bulletins from the early 1980's had the matrix with the bad lot codes for the SX-#50 series receivers with the Hitachi HA-113X chips. We swapped them with new ones from MCM Electronics, cheaper than Pioneer, and just as genuine. Can't say that today - Farnell/Premier messed MCM up badly.

Sadly, when you buy or download a manual today, the service bulletins and supplements are all missing. I sold hundreds of Hitachi, JVC, Sharp and Sansui manuals on eBay from 2004-2008, and always included copies of all the pertinent bulletins. Not so with 99% of the manual scanners/sellers today.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 7:40 pm 

Last year I did an SX-1250, which was over 100 electrolytics. Fortunately they don't take long to change -- probably something like 2 min per cap, except for the big chassis mounted caps. A little overhead for dismounting boards, etc., but still doable in a half day. Throw in a good alignment and the necessary contact cleaning, and it becomes a full day endeavor.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 5:07 am 

Most of you guys have visted Audiokarma. In case you haven't, they have a really good Pioneer forum there:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php? ... -audio.90/

I overhauled a SX1050 and my SX-780 with help from that forum. I've got a SX-750 to refurb and a second SX-780 after that. One tip, DeOxit works really well on the controls in these, I brought a channel back to life in the SX-750 with a bit of cleaning on the controls. Only paid $10 for it since the one channel was dead! Re-capping it will make it sound a lot better.

Cap and transistor lists are on the Audiokarma forum, I put together a thread with links to posts with lists of parts that the various Pioneer units usually need, here's a link:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php? ... on.457663/

Hope you guys and gals find this useful!