Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Tue 25, 2017 9:23 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Antenna Receptacle 1940 Chevrolet Radio
PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 3:54 pm 

I am finishing up a rebuild of a 1940 Chevrolet Master radio. The antenna socket is unusual in that the active portion of the socket is very shallow and there is a sleeve that fits in, once the case is assembled. This radio is missing the sleeve. The sleeve is thin and just the right diameter so that it slide in, locks in place with a slight rotation and provides the correct depth for the socket. If I could figure out how to make a sleeve I could install it and lock it in place with some solder. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Antenna Receptacle 1940 Chevrolet Radio
PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 8:13 pm 

I believe this is what you are describing? It was not part of the radio but is used to adapt a modern Motorola type antenna plug to the radios GM style twist-lock connector. Not a very reliable connection to the antenna socket in my opinion; I prefer to make an adapter from an original GM connector and a Motorola socket and a short piece of antenna cable. Or, install a Motorola socket on the radio in place of the original GM type.

I got the pictured adapter sleeve from Y&Z's yesteryear parts, but they are not listed in their catalog and may not still be available. A phone call to the friendly folks at Y&Z might find out.

http://www.ynzyesterdaysparts.com/

Attachments:
GM antenna adapter sleeve.jpg
GM antenna adapter sleeve.jpg [ 71.35 KiB | Viewed 162 times ]

Post subject: Re: Antenna Receptacle 1940 Chevrolet Radio
PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 2:08 am 

Thank you for your help. I will look them up.