Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Sat 27, 2017 4:34 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Telefunken Gavotte 7
PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 12:49 am 

I have a Telefunken Gavotte 7 I picked up a little while ago for a very good price that is in very good condition. The FM band sounds great, AM sounds pretty good but the SW band doesn't pick anything up. I have replaced all the tubes in the radio as well as replaced as many capacitors as I can get to. The SW band picks up very weak static from the 16m-30m section, but once I go over about 30m, there is a loud static sound every time I turn the tuning knob. I can take a video of the activity if anyone thinks it would be helpful. I am relatively new to this hobby and would like to hear any thoughts on why the SW band does this.

Post subject: Re: Telefunken Gavotte 7
PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 2:39 am 

First off, you need an external antenna to receive anything on SW with this radio. The internal loopstick antenna is only good for standard broadcast AM (and, possibly, LW too).

If plugging in a 20' length of wire into the antenna receptacle doesn't produce results, you next might try cleaning the bandswitch matrix. I use Deoxit but it's stupid-expensive and there are other brands available. If your radio has a perforated cardboard access plate on its bottom side, remove it to get access to the matrix. If there is no access plate, you will need to pull the entire chassis out of the cabinet.

While the underside of the chassis is exposed for cleaning, inspect the portion of the matrix that selects the SW mode. You can figure this out by diddling the SW button up and down while looking for switch wafer movement inside the matrix body. The matrix segment of interest is the one with the moving wafer below it. The SW segment has a couple of coils and variable caps mounted on it. It's possible that the SW antenna or oscillator coil has been damaged in the course of a previous "repair" and this would kill reception.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 4:45 pm 

Thanks for the response, I have an external long wire antenna in my attic I have been using and I have tried to clean the switching matrix already. I will inspect the coils and tuning cap and hopefully see the issue.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 13, 2017 1:26 am 

After closer inspection, the fins of the tuning capacitor were bent and contacting each other.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 13, 2017 2:10 am 

So, after fixing the tuning capacitor I was able to actually tune into a few stations on the radio. I switched to FM for a little bit for some music but once I switched back to SW it doesn't pick anything up but static.