Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sun 17, 2017 9:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Zenith 10S153 Console
PostPosted: Dec Mon 11, 2017 4:14 am 

I'm working on a Zenith model number 10S153 console for a friend.

The Riders Manual pages 8- 37/38 (chassis 4001) shows the top view of the chassis with 2 capacitor cans on the top. The one I'm working on has an 3rd capacitor can on the top of the chassis in the bottom right corner next to the 8mfd, 450v can.

I've looked at other photographs on the web of the chassis for this model, and like the one I'm working on, there is an extra capacitor can on the top.

Does anyone know if there was another version of the 4001 chassis, a different chassis, or another version of the schematic that was used in the model 10S153?

I've attached a photograph of the Riders page showing a top view of the chassis.

Thank you.

Attachments:
zenith 10s153 top view chassis 790 610.jpg
zenith 10s153 top view chassis 790 610.jpg [ 142.65 KiB | Viewed 233 times ]

Post subject: Re: Zenith 10S153 Console
PostPosted: Dec Mon 11, 2017 4:29 am 

You transposed the chassis no. digits in your inquiry but the schematic got it right. I've got one of those and I just went out and peeked. Mine has two electrolytic cans in the front corner on the power transformer (right) side.

One of my projects for the winter is getting mine functioning again.

Chris Campbell

PostPosted: Dec Mon 11, 2017 5:20 am 

Chris in TC wrote:
You transposed the chassis no. digits in your inquiry but the schematic got it right. I've got one of those and I just went out and peeked. Mine has two electrolytic cans in the front corner on the power transformer (right) side.

Chris Campbell

You're right. I meant to say the 1004 chassis. Thank you for the correction.

But the Rider book shows the top of the chassis and is missing the 2nd capacitor can. It shows only one capacitor can in the front next to the broadcast and shortwave trimmers.

Maybe there is a second schematic?

PostPosted: Dec Mon 11, 2017 1:50 pm 

jonboy55 wrote:
Chris in TC wrote:

Chris Campbell

You're right. I meant to say the 1004 chassis. Thank you for the correction.

But the Rider book shows a diagram of the top of the chassis and it's missing the 2nd capacitor can. It shows only one capacitor can in the front next to the broadcast and shortwave trimmers.

Maybe there is a second schematic?

PostPosted: Dec Mon 11, 2017 2:44 pm 

My radio has 2 cans in front of the transformer

Attachments:
002.JPG
002.JPG [ 143.63 KiB | Viewed 189 times ]

PostPosted: Dec Mon 11, 2017 4:21 pm 

The Riders schematic for the 1004 chassis indicates that a total of five electrolytic caps are used in this set; a mix of dry and wet-type electrolytics. Presumably the tube-style "wet" caps needed to be located more or less vertically (due to the vent hole location in the can top) on the topside of the chassis, while the "dry" ones can be mounted anywhere, in any orientation (i.e., under the chassis).

My guess is that the electrical schematic is the same for the two variants, with either the factory or a repair shop subbing a third "wet" electrolytic can for one of the "dry" types. The parts list should have been updated if it was a factory running mod; but this apparently was not done. Zenith didn't seem to be a company that was obsessively concerned with documentation (unlike Philco or RCA) so they may have just blown off updating the parts list... of course, it still could have been a "field expedient repair", in which case the factory would have been ignorant of the change. It should be easy to figure out "which cap goes where and does what" so that the substitution can be deduced.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 11, 2017 7:50 pm 

My 10-S-153 also has two cap cans near the transformer, like the picture. Three examples would seem to suggest it's factory work....

PostPosted: Dec Tue 12, 2017 2:13 am 

I've started the restoration on the Zenith 10S153.

Replaced the electrolytic capacitors and one of the coupling capacitors. The shadow meter is working - somewhat.

I plan to replace the rest of the waxy capacitors and any resistors that whose specifications have changed.

One thing I've noticed, when I turn the volume control up to a loud level, I start to get a "squealing" sound.

Also, any ideas on making the shadow meter to work better?

Any suggestion on what would cause this?

Thank you.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 12, 2017 7:09 pm 

No sense in doing much trouble shooting till you finish the recap. The target requires good AVC action which will only be doing it's job if the radio is in good working order, with proper alignment and a decent antenna.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 13, 2017 12:30 am 

Lou deGonzague wrote:
No sense in doing much trouble shooting till you finish the recap. The target requires good AVC action which will only be doing it's job if the radio is in good working order, with proper alignment and a decent antenna.

Good advice.

Thanks.