Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sat 16, 2017 12:03 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Vintage telefunken allegro 5183 radio
PostPosted: Nov Sun 19, 2017 3:12 pm 

Hi! I purchased this gorgeous radio at an auction, in pristine condition. It turns on fine, and pulls in stations beautifully. After a few (5?) minutes, I hear a pop, and it seems like only 1 of the speakers works after that. After turning it off, and cooling down, the same thing happens again when turned back on.... all the speakers work, then pop, then only 1 works. I read that you're not supposed to turn on vintage radios without being serviced first, but there is nothing in my area for service of this kind of radio. Does anyone have any input into what is causing this, and am I in jeopardy of doing permanent damage to the piece? Thanks in advance!! Dani

Post subject: Re: Vintage telefunken allegro 5183 radio
PostPosted: Nov Sun 19, 2017 6:52 pm 

dani579 wrote:
I read that you're not supposed to turn on vintage radios without being serviced first, but...and am I in jeopardy of doing permanent damage to the piece? Thanks in advance!! Dani

Don't turn the set on again. You will do expensive damage to the set. I am hoping from your description that nothing has been irreparably damaged.

It needs to be serviced. Capacitors and possibly other components need to be replaced before it can be used safely. This is my analogy: Would you drive a car that had 60 year old tires and other components on it?

This is not the easiest set to work on for a first repair attempt, but there are many folks here with a lot of experience on German sets. They may be able to help if you are willing to learn.

-Kevin

PostPosted: Nov Mon 20, 2017 12:02 am 

Post your location there maybe someone in your area who can fix it

PostPosted: Nov Mon 20, 2017 12:16 am 

I’m located in Bethlehem PA.

Thanks for the tip.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 20, 2017 2:24 am 

I'm in Jersey, about 10 minutes from from South Philly, and have done quite a number of German sets, if you are interested.