Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 18, 2017 11:48 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Need Help Aligning GE C600
PostPosted: Dec Mon 04, 2017 10:32 pm 

I am trying to understand the instructions on how to align this radio. I can figure out how to do #1 but it's after that were I am confused on were to make the balance of the connections.

Example: #2 It is totally confusing as were do I find the were is the Second I.F Transformer i on the schematic, the same for the Primary cores.?

#3: Were do I connect the tester to the R.F. section on the gang.

I have done a few Alignments on radios but this one has me stumped.

https://app.box.com/s/zefrq2bvx6zghhkhtp4n942mugek1yxk

Gerry

Post subject: Re: Need Help Aligning GE C600
PostPosted: Dec Mon 04, 2017 10:42 pm 

I apologize for posting twice. Would the moderator delete one of them

Thanks
Gerry

PostPosted: Dec Tue 05, 2017 1:44 am 

Gerry,

I see that you are not yet getting any help, so I'll give it a try. I will try to address your questions as I understand them. I hope you realize that there is quite a bit to learn before you can do this work easily and safely. I won't be able to provide a complete "radio course" in a post here. So keep asking questions and someone will help.

Thanks for the link to a schematic!

I'm not sure if I correctly understand what you are saying.

Do you mean that Step 1 on the Alignment Chart went OK, for but Step 2 you were unsure what to do?

It is important that this work be done while the radio is powered through an isolation transformer. The circuit connects directly to the AC line / mains, otherwise. The Alignment Chart directs you to use an isolation transformer.

This radio cannot meet modern safety standards. Great caution must be exercised to work on it safely. It can also be dangerous in use.

The second IF transformer is T2 on the schematic. It's between the 12SK7 IF tube and the 12SQ7 detector & audio tube.

The first IF transformer is T1 on the schematic. It's between the 12BE6 converter and the 12SK7 IF tube on the schematic. On the chassis, T1 is located behind the 12BE6.

The schematic indicates that the IF transformers have adjustments at top and bottom. It does not reveal which of these is the primary. You will need a non-metallic adjustment tool to adjust the transformers. It is not necessary to know which adjustment is for the primary and which is for the secondary.

The Alignment Chart may or may not give the best way to do this procedure, but should work well enough.

For Step 2 on the chart, the RF signal generator output common connects to the radio's B minus, or common bus. The negative leads for the electrolytic capacitors, C24A and C24B connect to this bus, as do many other things. Pin 5 of either 12SK7 would also be a place to connect the generator.

The generator's hot, or signal, connection goes to a 0.05uF capacitor from your parts stock. The other end of this capacitor is connected to the stator of C1B. This is the center section of the three gang tuning capacitor. This same point connects to pin D of RF coil L3. The optional C26 is shown connected to this point, also.

Ted

PostPosted: Dec Tue 05, 2017 2:54 pm 

Ted

I understand what they are telling me to do in step#1. I also would not work on any radio without using a Isolation Transformer.

Your explanation on how to make the connections is exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks
Gerry