Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Tue 12, 2017 12:10 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Help diagnosing/repairing a GE RC 4671 A
PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 6:24 pm 

My sister bought one of these a few months ago and has been using it up until the other day when it ceased putting out any sound. She says it had been hissing before it went silent. She asked me to have a look at it because I'm in computer repair, like DIY projects and taking things apart. This is totally new to me however, if it were up to me, I'd gut it and retrofit a modern tuner and amp but she wants to keep it original. Forgiveness please for the potentially sacrilegious comment.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Thor

Post subject: Re: Help diagnosing/repairing a GE RC 4671 A
PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 8:04 pm 

Service info can be found in Sams set 750, folder 7

Post subject: Re: Help diagnosing/repairing a GE RC 4671 A
PostPosted: Dec Fri 08, 2017 7:30 am 

Greetings to Thor and the Forum:

If you are new to the Forum and to servicing vintage equipment in general, the comment made by mr_ed01 may be so much Greek to you.

Back when your GE was made, a company called Howard D Sams ( now Sams Technical Publishing ) drew schematic diagrams in a standard format and published those schematics along with other relevant servicing information for practically every radio, TV set and stereo made during the period. The servicing information was gathered into a "folder" for the particular model of interest, and the folder, along with several other folders was bundled into a "Set" which was the minimum package you could buy from the company. mr_ed01 tells us that the schematic diagram and servicing information can be found in folder 7 contained in set 750 as published by Sams. Their current URL is: https://www.samswebsite.com/

You can order Set 750 from them or put a want ad in the classifieds section of this forum; someone may have a copy for sale which would be cheaper than a new one.

Once you have the service information in hand, you will have an idea how to proceed. If not, then by all means post to this thread again with specific questions; I am sure that someone will be able to help you.

Regards,