Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 11, 2017 6:53 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Phillips Bi-Ampli BX998A
PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 4:43 am 

So I picked up this radio, and I likely spent too much on it, but that's another story. Anyway, there appear to be several issues with it after I get it home and start inspecting it, and I'm really hoping someone has some experience working on one of these and/or could share some tuning string diagrams or something.

Here's the issues...
1. There is a stray wire hanging off the bottom of the chassis. The wire might be designed to connect to the bottom cover which has a lining of foil on it, but who knows.
2. The tuning eye is actually a knob that I assume was used to rotate the internal antenna, but that string is broken.
3. The white plastic backdrop behind the needles is broken on the end where it connects and is just hanging in place, or I might say out of place.
4. There are several strings that are loose and I have no idea where they should be.
5. The tuning needle for the FM band appears to be tucked away or bent or something not sure which.
6. The string to control the treble/bass is broken so the needle doesn't move on that display.

The radio does work though, have used it on FM when tuning manually, but who wants to do that all the time? :)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Phillips Bi-Ampli BX998A
PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 4:46 am 

Some pictures...

Attachments:
re_600_20171206_101139.jpg
re_600_20171206_101139.jpg [ 103.89 KiB | Viewed 107 times ]
re_600_20171206_220012.jpg
re_600_20171206_220012.jpg [ 124.76 KiB | Viewed 107 times ]
re_600_20171206_220035.jpg
re_600_20171206_220035.jpg [ 83 KiB | Viewed 107 times ]
re_600_20171206_220125_HDR.jpg
re_600_20171206_220125_HDR.jpg [ 70.1 KiB | Viewed 107 times ]
re_600_20171206_220847.jpg
re_600_20171206_220847.jpg [ 121.34 KiB | Viewed 107 times ]
re_600_20171206_220903.jpg
re_600_20171206_220903.jpg [ 92.83 KiB | Viewed 107 times ]
re_600_20171206_220918.jpg
re_600_20171206_220918.jpg [ 97.37 KiB | Viewed 107 times ]

PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 5:00 am 

27 pages of service data here...
https://www.doctsf.com/grandlivre/fiche ... 546&ori=ps

Holy smokes... Make sure you take your blood pressure medication before looking at the stringing diagrams. Lol

Greg.

oh... The doctsf.com (télégraphie sans fil) pdf's are untagged, you may have to add .pdf to the end of the downloaded file!

PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 6:44 am 

SIXTEEN dial strings!?!?!

I knew it looked like a big tangle in the back of the one I just picked up.

I didn't know HOW big. :cry:

PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 8:33 am 

Radiomuseum.org has a complete set of service info for this set including control cord stringing. Unfortunately, unless one is a member only 10 sheets can be downloaded per 30-day time period.

With regard to the "hanging wire"... it probably is the bonding wire that connects the electrostatic shield foil on the bottom cover. If it is, it will be soldered to the steel chassis on its "connected" end. The "floating" end should be soldered to a flat ring terminal and retained by one of the bottom cover screws.

The dial backs on these sets were often sheets of parchment paper or thin translucent plastic held in place by spring clips. If one of the clips has come loose it can probably be re-installed. If the sheet is torn it will need to be replaced. I've used translucent Mylar sheets (same stuff used by design draftsmen in pre-CAD days)... it is tough and strong. But thin white sheet styrene will work OK, too, and may give a more original appearance.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 8:44 am 

wow... I'm not going to enjoy this at all.

Thanks for the pdf links, the first one will be useful, but unfortunately the other two service docs are not english. If I need them I might see about exporting the text via OCR to google translate.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 8:47 am 

lorenz200w wrote:
The dial backs on these sets were often sheets of parchment paper or thin translucent plastic held in place by spring clips. If one of the clips has come loose it can probably be re-installed. If the sheet is torn it will need to be replaced. I've used translucent Mylar sheets (same stuff used by design draftsmen in pre-CAD days)... it is tough and strong. But thin white sheet styrene will work OK, too, and may give a more original appearance.

Thanks... any idea where I could get such sheets?

PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 11:12 am 

I would love that, take me through the winter.

Wow! Philips sure could make a radio: should have a few Bowden cables as well :D

Forunately Philip components are very good if they were still making their own by then. May not need a lot of waxie swapping but obviously check all crital ones.

OCR of data is laborious, did a bit for a German D57 and couldnt find a free one that was very accurate, to be expected really 'cos of all the technical terms. Needs a lot of deciphering and correcting before the translate. But look around for similar Philips radios that sold to the UK or the US as their manuals gave me a lot of help by cross refering.

Gary

PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 3:28 pm 

radios2100 wrote:
lorenz200w wrote:

Thanks... any idea where I could get such sheets?

Go to Amazon.com and type in "Mylar drafting film" or "styrene plastic sheets". Office supply stores may still carry mylar film; hobby stores which cater to scratchbuilders will probably stock thin styrene sheets under the Evergreen brand name.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 3:36 pm 

radios2100 wrote:
wow... I'm not going to enjoy this at all.

Thanks for the pdf links, the first one will be useful, but unfortunately the other two service docs are not english. If I need them I might see about exporting the text via OCR to google translate.

You may need to prevail on a German-speaker (or Dutch-speaker, depending where the set was made) to help you decipher the service info. Translation software seems to do a very poor job when it encounters "technese". If you've done a couple of alignments, however, you can probably figure out what the gist of the procedure is.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 08, 2017 10:35 am 

Hi there!

Through a Google Alert set on 'BX998A' this discussion was brought to my attention. I first had to register to this forum that I didn't know yet, before I could write this message. I am a Dutch RF- and antenna design engineer, and (currently not-active) ham radio operator. I just might be the one who can help you out with this endeavor. I too am the proud owner of this marvelous Philips BX998A radio, already since the seventies, and I used its wide SW coverage for amateur radio reception back then. Even built in a SSB detector for that purpose. Some years ago I completely renovated the radio to its original state. Actually, I own two of these radio's at the moment, as I bought a second one that was nonfunctional and repaired and renovated that one as well.

I have a paper copy of the full service documentation of the BX998A, and could make a scan of it in full for you, at no costs, output in pdf. However, there are many fold-out pages that you would have to assemble again from loose page scans like a big jigsaw puzzle. Furthermore, the text is in Dutch. I could do my best to translate it, but English or American English is not my native language, and all of these quite mechanical terms would cause me a headache to translate :-) But I could just help you to decipher bits and pieces of it later on.

Please beware that it will be a hell of a job to renovate your radio, you will need endless patience and good mechanical and electrical skills. And unless you have a spectrum analyzer and vector network analyzer, you should definitely not touch the many RF and IF transformers. You can completely ruin them, as their magnetic cores are easily broken when you attempt to turn them with a screw driver just like that. Also note that there are some not so obvious facts about this radio, such as the speakers seemingly being connected out-of-phase, but they should, as they are also driven that way.

I don't know if it is allowed to mention e-mail adresses here, but I better don't anyway. You can find my contact information on my website, search for ElegAnt Solutions Enschede. Then we can discuss further. This is not commercial. I would be glad to be of help, provided you don't ask too much of me :-)

Best regards, Hans.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 09, 2017 12:05 pm 

I thought I had seen a pic and a write up of this radio before: there was a 2 page article in the BVWS Bulletin, Spring 2007.

It wont give you much restoration help (18 dial cords !!) but does go into operation and the owner was thrilled with its performance and sound.

Can scan the pages and Email them if you want them (send me a PM with address)

Gary