Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Sun 24, 2018 6:36 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Zenith 10S669 anomalies
PostPosted: Jan Wed 03, 2018 8:31 pm 

I am restoring a Zenith 10S669 and keep finding inconsistencies between the schematic and the actual radio. The schematic is consistent with my chassis number.

The radio has 3 bands: BC, POL. and SW. However, now that I have partially dismantled the chassis I discover that the band switch, 4 wafers with switch contacts on 6 sides, has 4 positions. What is going on?

Other anomalies:
R16 on the schematic does not exist, the cathode of the 6J5 inverter is wired directly to the cathode of 6F5 amp.

C6 between GND and pin 3 of 7G7-1232 R.F. exists but is .02uf instead .05uf as indicated by the schematic

There is a 220K resistor from 6J5 OSC. pin 5 (grid) to GND which is not shown on the schematic.

There is at least one other anomaly but I haven't yet traced the full circuit involved. There is evidence that someone has been in the radio before but I don't believe all the circuit wiring and component anomalies result from earlier "repairs".

Any thoughts, especially regarding the 4 position band switch?
Every little bit helps. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Zenith 10S669 anomalies
PostPosted: Jan Wed 03, 2018 8:43 pm 

The fourth position should be for the push buttons; (Automatic).

If the parts that vary from the schematic are original, I'd assume that they could be changes in the run at the factory.
If not, then go with the schematic. I had one of these a long time ago, and they sound very good when they are
rebuilt.

Post subject: Re: Zenith 10S669 anomalies
PostPosted: Jan Thu 04, 2018 7:19 pm 

brimill,
What is the serial number listed on the chassis? It should begins with a letter followed by six numbers.