Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Sun 19, 2018 8:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Masek's Emerson BD-197 Mae West restoration
PostPosted: Apr Mon 09, 2018 2:06 am 

I went to the Photobucket to look at the photos of the Mae West and was assailed by non stop advertisements. That thing is a mess; I remember going there once before and having nothing but trouble. Am I doing something wrong to view them? Maybe that's just not my thing!

PostPosted: Apr Mon 09, 2018 4:26 am 

I have a pay account, so no ads.

PostPosted: Apr Mon 09, 2018 12:17 pm 

Joezenithman wrote:
I went to the Photobucket to look at the photos of the Mae West and was assailed by non stop advertisements.......
Joe, I use Adblock Plus (disabled for ARF) with Firefox and it makes viewing Photobucket tolerable.... on Stephen's first Photobucket page I saw the # of ads blocked jump to 117!

PostPosted: Apr Fri 13, 2018 12:48 pm 

Eliot Ness wrote:
Joezenithman wrote:
I went to the Photobucket to look at the photos of the Mae West and was assailed by non stop advertisements.......
Joe, I use Adblock Plus (disabled for ARF) with Firefox and it makes viewing Photobucket tolerable.... on Stephen's first Photobucket page I saw the # of ads blocked jump to 117!

Just wanted to say that I am totally done with Photobucket since learning I don't need a photo-hosting site. The site was horrendous with ads and I had no desire to go through any troubles to block them. It was taking me 45 minutes to insert and name a single new photo - if I could do it at all. Then being asked an insane amount of money to use the site for "3rd party" hosting was the final blow. Well, the party is over now! :D

PostPosted: Apr Fri 13, 2018 8:22 pm 

I have the stain, clear lacquer sanding sealer, first coat of clear, and some toned lacquer on the base applied.

Photo bucket has a new $99 per year plan for those not using photos to sell on Ebay and such. That is quite reasonable.

PostPosted: Apr Sat 14, 2018 5:33 pm 

Eliot Ness wrote:
FStephenMasek wrote:
.......I doubt I could not get $5 for them, but I'll put them in my file for the radio......
Thank you Stephen! The point wasn't to save them to sell, but to save for the next owner if they want to restuff.

I have a Majestic Treasure Chest that someone restored by chopping out the original electrolytic box and soldering in two new blue capacitors. I wish that person had saved the old caps so I wouldn't have to make or scrounge one up.

FStephenMasek wrote:
......."Restuffing" seems to be more prevalent on the east coast and/or Midwest. I wonder why?
Not sure, but Phlogiston in OR does a very nice job restuffing and even making period accurate dog-bone resistors:

https://www.russoldradios.com/restoration.html

Thanks for posting this info and with the link! I bookmarked his website. He's obviously a true craftsman and that degree of attention to detail ought to significantly add to the interest and value of a restored vintage radio.

-Greg

PostPosted: Apr Mon 16, 2018 4:40 am 

Add to the value? Most of them are declining in value.

PostPosted: Apr Mon 16, 2018 6:19 pm 

FStephenMasek wrote:
Add to the value? Most of them are declining in value.

Maybe on the restored radios because not everyone wants to buy someone else's restoration job. The unrestored originals are still in demand. A radio is original only once.

PostPosted: Apr Wed 18, 2018 8:01 pm 

That is not true. The market for all old radios is way down. Those who paid $80,000 for a 1000Z probably felt quite bad when they saw Jimmy Fisher buy his for $25,000...

The radios were original when they left the factory. Many decades later, they usually look quite different.

PostPosted: Apr Thu 19, 2018 3:08 pm 

Who Looks Under A Chassis?
Russ Webb 2/16/2018

Quote:
I have often encountered some resistance while discussing chassis restoration. In particular the aspect of "restuffing" the original paper capacitors seems to be a step too far for some people.

"I don't feel the need to do that". Well, that is OK, don't. And this one - "No one ever looks under the chassis". To that I say it is both untrue and somewhat ridiculous, since there is much more involved. I find this of particular interest in today's environment of "MAGA" which implies that we need higher quality and workmanship - like the "good old days".

This attitude is often associated with shoddy workmanship. If the builder of your home uses less concrete in the foundation because "no one will ever see it", Let's hope the building inspector catches him. This is why antique radio buyers WANT to see the underside of the restored chassis, unless the radio is very cheap.

Modern parts - detract from the "restored appearance of the chassis. Capacitors can be restuffed, if not, save the old ones for a future owner. I still need to locate the original AK caps for this unit. This is often the biggest challenge I have in doing a restoration. I also rewind or otherwise repair transformers and coils, and cast new resistors so they look like the originals.

I have also heard people say "People want unrestored radios and pay more for them". Yes, I want unrestored radios. There is a lot of extra work involved with fixing a radio like this one. And, a more correct statement is that people don't want improperly restored radios - true that some people don't want to pay for the additional time it takes. BUT, even if a tech does not restuff caps or cast resistors the result should still be like the first picture above, not like the second. Many techs will find, as I did, that properly restored radios sell for a premium. If you are purchasing any radio ask to see the underside of the chassis. Restorers might already have a picture. If it is too "inconvenient" for the seller, assume the worst, don't pay much.

Some people say this takes too long. I can assure you that the first one or two WILL take too long. Is it better to have three radios restored poorly or one good one. I am not going to decide for you. I think that the real annoyance comes from owners that have paid for more and they got less or collectors that have a bunch of "repaired" but not restored radios. Sorry, I know how it feels. I have reworked many of the radios I repaired 20 years ago. Yes my skills have improved and I have found sources for better and or original (looking) parts. I have refinished one cabinet 3 times ;-)

So make your next radio the best it can be. And if you are new to the hobby - well, now you know.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 50 posts ]  Moderator: Peter Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3