Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Thu 13, 2018 4:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Mildew growing on restored radio cabinet
PostPosted: Oct Thu 11, 2018 1:47 pm 

Has anyone experienced mildew growing on your restored radio cabinet. I was given a FADA 366C that had initially a good bit of mold or mildew on the bottom of the cabinet. There was obvious water damage. After stripping, sanding, replacing some veneer and refinishing with Danish Oil two summers ago, I found a lot of mildew on the lower portion of the cabinet just yesterday. The radio is in an air conditioned family room and not in a basement although there has been a lot of rain this summer. Is it possible this stuff survived the refinishing process and what can I do to kill it without destroying the finish? I have read methods on the net but I,m worried about putting bleach, vinegar or hydrogen peroxide on the wood.

Post subject: Re: Mildew growing on restored radio cabinet
PostPosted: Oct Wed 17, 2018 2:59 am 

I've found Gojo or Goop hand cleaner (white not orange) to remove mildew pretty well. It would be a safe thing to try first.

PostPosted: Oct Wed 17, 2018 1:40 pm 

I've removed mildew on both unrestored and restored cabinets with Murphy's Oil Soap with success (no affiliation to Murphy, Oil or Soap :D )

K4DLM

PostPosted: Oct Thu 18, 2018 2:04 am 

If you still have mold, the humidity is too high. It is tough to kill mold spores with legal chemicals. I used to use SunPac but as far as I can tell it is only legal in Florida BUT WAIT ! I see that it now says that it ships "only to US".... That's great!

https://www.smsdistributors.com/product ... usty-odors

I used it in NC for more than a decade. I have acquired moldy cabinets; placed them in a old NEMA 12 electrical box with DampRid and a couple of SunPacks and just let them set for a few months... I'm going to order some more packs... You can store them indefinitely in a glass Mason jar.

Heed the note about using them only in unoccupied areas....

Robert

PostPosted: Nov Tue 06, 2018 8:48 pm 

Thanks for these reply's. I never thought of these SunPac Mildewcide bags. If it shows up again I'll bag the radio with a couple of these or try the Murphy's first. Thanks