Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Tue 23, 2014 1:17 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Loewe Opta Rheinland Cabinet Restoration
PostPosted: Jan Thu 26, 2012 5:23 pm 

Hi Everyone,

I am presently restoring a Loewe Opta stereo console that has been in the family since new in 1960 - 61, The chassis has been sent out to a professional antique repair shop, I dare not experiment with it when 2 radio shops have already done more damage while attempting to repair it. Those repairs alone exceed my budget. Therefore I must restore the cabinet myself.

The unit has the LW,SW, FM bands and record player all on the left side, the right side has a glass sliding door and mirrored bottom to the cabinet. The top and other sliding door had a high gloss finish in Mahogany (I believe).

One shop had sanded the gloss away completely on the top and while sanding the top somehow scuffed the top six inches of the gloss on the door.

My questions are:

Since the top has been sanded down to the mahogany veneer, to get the gloss back do I have to redo in the original polyester lacquer (according to a Loewe Opta Forum after 1959 the finish was done with a polyester lacquer) or is there a similar and simpler high gloss option?

Must I sand and redo the door completely, or is there a way of restoring the gloss, since there are only light scratches in the gloss itself?

I know these questions are simple to this audience but I am completely ignorant in these matters and can't afford anymore descouraging set backs.

All suggestions are appreciated

Patrick

Post subject: Re: Loewe Opta Rheinland Cabinet Restoration
PostPosted: Jan Sat 28, 2012 11:48 pm 

Hi Patrick,

I'm far from being able to provide any advice, but you might have a look at these links for some ideas:

http://www.radiomuseum.org/forum/repair_of_high_gloss_polished_polyester_lacquer_finishes.html
http://www.radiomuseum-bocket.de/museum/int/english/restoration-2.php

Regards,

René

PostPosted: Jan Sun 29, 2012 3:52 am 

Hi! Patrick,
I'm very interested in this subject. Please post how you make out with it.
Thanks!

PostPosted: Jan Sun 29, 2012 7:23 am 

Merci René, very detailed steps, precisely what I needed. Now let's see what I can do.

Salut
Patrick
West of Montreal

Bob, I hope to have some positive results to share.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 25, 2012 2:37 am 

Hi Patrick,

How did the restoration turn out? I think I have the same radio cabinet--display case on the right (with mirrored bottom and half-moon glass shelf), radio and record player on the left. The cabinet used to be my grandparents, and I got it when they passed away. Sadly, they removed the radio parts and the speakers back in the 80's--not sure why.

Wesley