Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 11, 2017 10:28 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Grain filler, I'm confused!
PostPosted: Apr Thu 06, 2017 9:13 am 

I use Behlens grain filler, you can get it natural, walnut, mahogany and medium brown. It needs to be thinned, 4 parts filler to one part thinner. I buy the Behlens thinner. They also make a filler application tool. It has a rubber edge on one side and a beveled plastic edge on the opposite side. Works well. Just found that one a few months ago on the Internet. One note when you get the filler it needs to be mixed well. Sam

PostPosted: May Thu 11, 2017 12:26 am 

Okay, I ordered and used the Stewmac grain filler on my RCA Victor model 19K and I think it's a lot easier to use than the Crystalac grain filler! It's not the easiest task, using grain filler on an entire radio cabinet, but the grain filler from stewmac makes it a doable task, I think! The Crystalac grain filler was almost impossible for me to get right on a huge radio cabinet! Anyway, I do have another question, Does anyone out there think that applying grain filler, then wiping it off, then sanding, then repeating (if necessary) , then sanding, then applying a wash coat is a relaxing and fun task? This is not an easy thing to master, or is it?

Attachments:
DSC01695.jpg
DSC01695.jpg [ 127.91 KiB | Viewed 790 times ]

PostPosted: May Thu 11, 2017 2:15 am 

ychris wrote:
Does anyone out there think that applying grain filler, then wiping it off, then sanding, then repeating (if necessary) , then sanding, then applying a wash coat is a relaxing and fun task? This is not an easy thing to master, or is it?

If the goal is a nice smooth finish, I would much rather do the above than spray 20 coats of lacquer trying to fill the grain..

Peter

PostPosted: May Thu 11, 2017 4:46 am 

I uploaded my first video to YouTube today, then happened to see Behlen's excellent video on grain filler. I suggest viewing it.

That 19K is downright beautiful - good job!

PostPosted: Jun Sat 10, 2017 2:39 am 

FStephenMasek wrote:
I uploaded my first video to YouTube today, then happened to see Behlen's excellent video on grain filler. I suggest viewing it.

That 19K is downright beautiful - good job!

Thanks for the tip on the video. It is very informative and I didn't know about the mist coat on the first finish coat to not wrinkle the filler. One note to people who haven't tried Behlens it is a real pain to mix. But you need to stir it really well. I also just go ahead and buy there thinner. I would wash coat with thinned shellac before using final finish anyway and then a mist would not be necessary. I picked up a book on very early furniture finishing from 1927 called Furniture finishing decoration and patching. It has a section on radio cabinets and that is how they used to do cabinets with wash coats of thinned shellac. This book is over 500 pages. I would suggest any one refinishing cabinets pick one up. Mine was less than 10 bucks on Amazon and the repair tips in it are great. Sam

PostPosted: Dec Mon 04, 2017 7:36 pm 

Okay, I"m at it again, I"m working on a Zenith model 9s367. I was using Color Tone grain filler (Mahogany color) and after applying the grain filler, waiting a day, sanding it, I brushed on a "wash coat" of 4 parts denatured alcohol and 1 part shellac, and what a mess! That mix took the grain filler right out and made nice mahogany streaks all over the cabinet! So I moved back to the Old masters wood grain filler, followed the instructions, mixing it with the stain and I got a mix about the consistency of chocolate milk! That's what you will end up with when you follow the instructions on the can! So I applied it, wiped it as it directs you to and you DO GET STREAKS NO MATTER WHAT! And if you sand it 24 hours later, it immediately chunks up or blocks up your sand paper, because it doesn't seem to try like I'd of thought! This is about 2 years I've been attempting this and I can't seem to get a good routine down, I end up cursing profusely every single time! I don't want to buy a book, I just need someone to tell me, This is what grain filler to buy, This is step one through step 3 and this is how when your done with the God awful grain filler task, this is how you apply your lacquer! Anyone know? :evil: You can see in the closeup pic, how the grains are still visible after three or four attempts! There's got to be an easier way then the way I'm doing it!

Attachments:
zenith 367 B.jpg
zenith 367 B.jpg [ 131.44 KiB | Viewed 97 times ]
zenith 367.jpg
zenith 367.jpg [ 75.99 KiB | Viewed 97 times ]

PostPosted: Dec Tue 05, 2017 1:00 am 

There many grain filler products out there, the easiest to work with I found is called Timbermate. I get the neutral color, very easy to apply and sand off and can take any stain. Dries very fast within an hour at 75-80 degrees. Look it up at amazon.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 3:04 am 

Isn't Timbermate a wood filler? That's what comes up on amazon. Isn't wood filler and grain filler different? I want to know how they did these in the 1930's! What did they use? It must have been easier than these water based fillers! Do they make anything close to the grain filler they used back then? And where do I get it!?

PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 8:59 am 

Apparently works as both grain filler and putty. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX0iYF56nNo

PostPosted: Dec Fri 08, 2017 4:08 am 

Timbermate has made grain filling much easier, and ended my problems with the filler darkening cabinets. I just tried using water-based stain after it, and that is just as nice. It covers evenly and dries quickly.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 50 posts ]  Moderator: Peter Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3