Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Tue 28, 2017 12:52 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Telefunken Gavotte 7
PostPosted: Dec Tue 20, 2016 3:46 am 

So I recently purchased a Telefunken Gavotte 7. The wife is in love with it, and I also think its a pretty amazing looking radio.

I'm going to mechanically restore it, but my wife wants to display it right away. I have refinished 2 radios, and have done varying degrees of work to 10 or so others.

This one is definitely in good shape, but it needs attention. The wood looks good from 5 feet, but getting close I can see the grain of the wood popping through the finish. The white face and gold/brass finish also needs polishing.

What is the best way to go about the wood finish? Most photos I can find show this to be a very high gloss unit.

Also what is the best way to clean the face and Gold?

Pics for reference.

Attachments:
ext.jpg
ext.jpg [ 166.1 KiB | Viewed 291 times ]
top.jpg
top.jpg [ 138.32 KiB | Viewed 291 times ]
wood.jpg
wood.jpg [ 115.02 KiB | Viewed 291 times ]
gavotte.jpg
gavotte.jpg [ 204.36 KiB | Viewed 291 times ]
back.jpg
back.jpg [ 164.62 KiB | Viewed 291 times ]

Post subject: Re: Telefunken Gavotte 7
PostPosted: Jan Mon 09, 2017 4:37 am 

I have the exact same radio and when electronically restored it sounds amazing, accept for the SW band I haven't gotten to work. Mine is in almost the exact same condition externally as yours and I am mostly replying to save his thread so I can return later. So far, I have cleaned the outside off with some mineral spirits on a microfiber and then just applied some oil to try to remoisturize the finish a little bit until I can figure out a way to fully restore it. You will be expremely pleased with your purchase once you electronically restore it!