Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Thu 24, 2017 12:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Can this veneer be saved?
PostPosted: Dec Wed 28, 2016 10:06 pm 

I was lucky enough to purchase a Midwest model 18-37 for a song. I want to make this my restoration project for the new year and had a question regarding the condition of the veneer. As you can tell from the pictures, the veneer is wrinkled and cracked all up and down one side of the front of the cabinet. I was wondering if this can be saved or will it need to be replaced. Is it possible to glue and flatten that area? If so, could any leftover imperfections be dealt with using grain filler? Since the entire cabinet needs to be refinished, I'm not against replacing it. However, if it can be salvaged, that would be nice. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Attachments:
midwest1.JPG
midwest1.JPG [ 123.07 KiB | Viewed 972 times ]
midwest2.JPG
midwest2.JPG [ 117.52 KiB | Viewed 972 times ]

Post subject: Re: Can this veneer be saved?
PostPosted: Dec Thu 29, 2016 10:29 am 

I wouldn't hesitate myself. Take it off and replace. That's the only way you can really clean the underneath ply and be sure no more problems like lifting in the future.

A fine radio it deserves the best restoration.

Gary

PostPosted: Dec Sat 31, 2016 5:10 am 

If you decide to take a try at repairing the veneer, I would use a hide glue, to make yellow wood glue bond, you will need to get all the old hide glue off and I can't see that happening without pulling the veneer off. I tried a similar fix on a curved surface. Ultimate truly, I just got a new chassis. The good thing was I went from a console to a large table top radio (Philco 38-5X to 38-5B). It was not as cheap as I would have liked, but my wife is falling in love with the table top radio.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 06, 2017 10:32 pm 

I think RF and TMSU have given you good advise. If you want to consider a convenient method of replacing that veneer, see this thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=309537

PostPosted: Jan Sun 08, 2017 7:51 pm 

Thanks all. That thread looks like it will be a big help. Now, where do I find the appropriate replacement veneer? I assume it is walnut like most other radios from the 30s. I know Woodcraft has small packages of veneer, but it would be nice to find something large enough to just use one piece. Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 08, 2017 11:22 pm 

Try Ebay. Search for "Walnut Veneer". You'll see a dozens of choices.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 22, 2017 7:09 pm 

Thanks for the tips.

Startgroove - I tried the method you suggested for removing the old veneer. It was quite simple and very effective. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a piece of veneer to match the other side, so I ended up removing the old veneer from both side. Next step is to prepare the wood and get ready for the new veneer. Thanks!

PostPosted: Jan Sun 22, 2017 7:13 pm 

Yes, that does get to be an issue sometimes. I had to do the same thing on an RCA radio. I re-veneered both sides and the top, just to be sure it matched. The American Walnut (if that is what it was) used back then does not seem to match what is available today.