Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Wed 29, 2017 4:08 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: General Electric J-105
PostPosted: Jan Mon 02, 2017 9:30 pm 

Hello,

My first post. I just picked up a GE J-105 from an antique store. The cabinet is not in bad shape except on the top where there are some drink rings and a cigarette burn, but I plan on stripping and refinishing it anyway. All the laminate seems ok. The grille cloth will definitely need replacing and I am missing a couple of the push buttons and a small trim piece off the control panel.

My plan is to not worry about the old radio parts (though I will save them carefully for the future) and replace them with modern stuff. I do want it to look the same and even light up when it is powered on.

Just wondering if anyone has a guide for this type of thing, and also a source for the missing push buttons and grille cloth. I have some wood working experience and do pretty well at finishing new wood projects, but am new to the stripping part and don't want to lose any of the features on the cabinet (some of which may be decals) unless there are replacements available.

Thanks in advance for any tips for a 1st timer.

Matt

Post subject: Re: General Electric J-105
PostPosted: Jan Sat 07, 2017 5:51 pm 

You won't find any sympathy from any of us. We like antique radios. Perhaps you could trade your radio for another already "treated". Craig

PostPosted: Jan Mon 09, 2017 8:46 am 

if you are electricly and mechanily inclined, you could make that happen.

PostPosted: Jan Sat 14, 2017 5:46 am 

analog.tv wrote:
You won't find any sympathy from any of us. We like antique radios. Perhaps you could trade your radio for another already "treated". Craig

Ok I get it. In this case the cabinet is fantastic and the radio is questionable but I tell you what. If any of you guys want the parts I am very carefully removing without damage I will give them to you if you come and get them or pay for shipping. I am not committing blasphemy or going to antique radio hell for taking a beautiful wooden cabinet and restoring it, saving the old stuff inside for you guys, and making it useful for my household. I intend to download (and pay for) a bunch of old radio programs to listen to and enjoy. I am 50 years old and really enjoy what I am doing with this cabinet and look forward to pairing it with modern technology to give me the best of both worlds.

Somebody please explain to me, and perhaps I will become addicted as well, but if I had this one working in its original condition, what can I pick up on Short Wave 1 and SW2? who still broadcasts on BC? I am not trying to be offensive but honestly want to know what is still able to be received if I was to restore the original radio in this cabinet? I apologize in advance if anyone is offended by my wanting to replace the old stuff with new technology while preserving the amazing wood work. I am really enjoying this project and hope you can all convince me to become addicted to a new hobby.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 26, 2017 2:39 pm 

I think your approach is okay, you own the radio, and especially if you are able to do it in a way that can be reversed! Have you considered revitalizing the electronics too? Once the insides are restored to working and safe condition it is usually simple to install jacks or plugs for mp3 players and smartphones, or simply add a blue tooth receiver hooked to the original circuitry. That's much more authentic and "cool" than just ripping out the insides. I don't know how to bridge the ages with more grace than that. You don't say where you are located but I'll bet there are people very near you who have the skills and knowledge to help. As glasdave suggests, you may already have some basic skills and just need some help from members here. Or, send the speaker and chassis to someone (such as a member here) who can do that task while you rework the cabinet.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 26, 2017 2:51 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
Matt Smith wrote:

My plan is to not worry about the old radio parts (though I will save them carefully for the future) and replace them with modern stuff. I do want it to look the same and even light up when it is powered on.

Hmmm .... I don't say this often, especially with consoles, as they are "usually" not worth a whole pile and rarely are they electronically interesting or significant, BUT ....

This is an interesting set electronically speaking. It has a separate oscillator tube, push-pull audio output, an RF stage, etc. Normally I'd say something like "you own it ... do as you will", but in this case I'd encourage you to trade or sell it as a complete unit and focus your efforts on something that has the usual console traits of "looking good" while being electronically uninteresting and also mediocre in the performance department.

Maybe offer it up as a trade in the classifieds here and see if there's an interest?

just a thought ..