Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Feb Fri 24, 2017 11:21 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Repairing nail holes
PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 7:53 pm 

I just started stripping this cabinet and realized there are several nails in the top of the cabinet. I don't know if they are original or not. Either way, they need to be repaired. Is there any special filler I should use? I like Timber Mate, but the color selection is not that great. I don't want the filler to show through the lacquer finish. Any thoughts?

Attachments:
midwest.JPG
midwest.JPG [ 161.8 KiB | Viewed 245 times ]

Post subject: Re: Repairing nail holes
PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 5:15 am 

If it were in my shop I would first try stick shellac. It comes in a variety of colors and is applied with a small heated iron similar to a low temp soldering iron and takes lacquer and sanding sealers well. Your other choice would be to use a 1/8 sharp drill at high speed (not a cordless drill) where your nail hole is and insert a walnut peg into the hole. It would take stain and you could orient the grain of the peg to align with the surrounding grain. This is a meticulous process but can be done to hide a scar like yours. I did a cigarette scar in a mahogany piano that way last month and satisfied the owner. Good luck.

Post subject: Re: Repairing nail holes
PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 10:57 am 

I would do the grain fill / stain and then fill the nail holes with car body filler: hangs in better than anything in my tests. Then touch up with a first dab of artists oil paint and give it a lacquer coat. Probably will need another touch up with the paints before the next lacquer coat.

All covered in the "artists oil paint method" you can find on the Forum.

Gary