This radio was bought new in 1939 by my grandparents. It's had quite a life, and has escaped the dump more than a few times. In 2007 I restored the electronics, but it took me a whole decade to finally get around to doing the cabinet.
It took a few experiments to figure out how to get the finish to work on this console. I ended up french polishing a thin layer of shellac and then topcoating with spray lacquer. The top was completely re-veneered since the original had long flaked off. The other veneer trim I left as-is since I want the radio to keep some of its history. The early photos I have of the set show the base and accents of the radio as being very dark, so I took a deco approach and gave them a hand rubbed black lacquer treatment.
The original speaker cloth somehow has gotten a hole in it since it was removed, but I plan on trying to reuse it, since I cannot find anything close to the pattern made today.
Just thought I would post some progress and see what you all think! Plenty of work yet to do.