Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Feb Tue 21, 2017 2:08 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: RCA K80 Cabinet Progress
PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 2:40 am 

This radio was bought new in 1939 by my grandparents. It's had quite a life, and has escaped the dump more than a few times. In 2007 I restored the electronics, but it took me a whole decade to finally get around to doing the cabinet.

It took a few experiments to figure out how to get the finish to work on this console. I ended up french polishing a thin layer of shellac and then topcoating with spray lacquer. The top was completely re-veneered since the original had long flaked off. The other veneer trim I left as-is since I want the radio to keep some of its history. The early photos I have of the set show the base and accents of the radio as being very dark, so I took a deco approach and gave them a hand rubbed black lacquer treatment.

The original speaker cloth somehow has gotten a hole in it since it was removed, but I plan on trying to reuse it, since I cannot find anything close to the pattern made today.

Just thought I would post some progress and see what you all think! Plenty of work yet to do.

-Nathan

Post subject: Re: RCA K80 Cabinet Progress
PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 4:57 am 

Very good work. I like the decals, they just add that little special touch. Once you get the grill cloth on it will be completed. There are several different places that sell grill cloth. You might find something on ebay
Also try Richmond designs.
good work. Dan in Calgary

Post subject: Re: RCA K80 Cabinet Progress
PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 11:01 am 

Looks great, well done.

Watch out with grill cloth: ask for a sample first. A lot is only meant for covering sofas !! And apart from top cut it flaps in and out on bass. Been there ...

Gary