Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Tue 23, 2018 4:47 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Zenith 16a63 Stratosphere cabinet refinish ( COMPLETE )
PostPosted: Nov Fri 24, 2017 2:02 pm 

Wow!!! Unbelievable work, as usual Fred. I've always been amazed at your cabinet restorations. When are you going to post a YouTube video and share with the world how you do what you do?

:) :) :)

PostPosted: Apr Mon 23, 2018 8:31 pm 

The 16A63 is all finished and is proudly playing some 1940s music (courtesy of retransmission from XM Radio) in the living room. Only two radios in the living room, this one and the McMurdo Black Beauty in the Norwich cabinet. They don't actually complement one another, but when you crank them both up it certainly does fill the room.

In the year since I got the set the cabinet was taken to Fred Taylor in Texas for restoration and he did a wonderful job - absolutely first class and worth the trip to and from the great state of Texas! During that period the original grille cloth was lost, misplaced, or otherwise unavailable. Not sure how this happened, but after a couple of archeological expeditions it did not turn up. I was so upset that I could never bring myself to getting other grill cloth. We finally settled on the Zenith "Walton's" Grille Cloth sold by Radio Daze, and all things considered it complements the cabinet pretty well, and next to not having the original it is (IMHO) a good substitute. If and when the original cloth is found it will replace this cloth, but I am content with this for the time being. It beats an empty cabinet.

Cliff Hensley restored the chassis, and stripped the amplifier chassis which was quite rusty and I had it re-plated by a character of dubious integrity, but the end result was worth it. It is remarkably beautiful and was worth the effort. Not sure we are up to stripping the main chassis for re-chroming so for the time being this is it.

Glad to have a couple of projects completed and that closes this chapter on the Stratosphere.

Attachments:
DSC02009.JPG
DSC02009.JPG [ 130.75 KiB | Viewed 237 times ]
DSC02010.JPG
DSC02010.JPG [ 126.3 KiB | Viewed 237 times ]
DSC02008.JPG
DSC02008.JPG [ 134.38 KiB | Viewed 237 times ]

PostPosted: Apr Tue 24, 2018 8:10 am 

Very beautiful, top of the range radio. Well done on getting it back to playing.

Gary

PostPosted: Apr Tue 24, 2018 12:20 pm 

That's looks great Joe, I'm glad to see it all put back together. I bet that Big Band music really does the trick coming out of the rare Zenith. Sit down, pop a beer and listen to The world famous Glenn Miller and his orchestra. :D :D :D :D :D :D

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 24 posts ]  Moderator: Peter Go to page Previous  1, 2