Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sat 16, 2017 4:33 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Mohawk Tone Finish Toner Question
PostPosted: Oct Mon 23, 2017 2:46 am 

I'm in the middle of a Zenith console refinish (10S153) and I am unhappy with the toner finish I used on the base. I used extra dark walnut and it is simply too dark. I would like to go with a lighter color. I used tone finish toner cover the rather featureless wood. Could I simply spray a lighter toner over the existing finish I have just applied or am I better of stripping off the dark walnut and starting from scratch with a lighter color? Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Mohawk Tone Finish Toner Question
PostPosted: Oct Mon 23, 2017 12:13 pm 

You will have to start over, the toners are transparent and spraying lighter over darker wont do all that much.

PostPosted: Oct Mon 23, 2017 2:53 pm 

I agree with Fred, you will have to start all over.
Remove the Extra Dark Walnut toner with lacquer thinner..
I sometimes find that the Extra Dark Walnut is just a little too dark and what I ended up using was Vandyke brown
. Dan in Calgary

PostPosted: Oct Mon 23, 2017 3:34 pm 

Toners are available opaque too. Test the a replacement opaque toner over the too dark version first. If it covers the you have saved the solvent and preparation.

Do look at the existing "dark" toner in different light temperatures.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_temperature

Lots of calculations on the wiki but basically incandescent, natural, fluorescent lighting have different Kelvin values. Object color will look different depending on the lighting. What may look too dark in the shop often lit with Cool White fluorescent. May look a deep warm brown in the home lit with incandescent or color corrected fluorescent (Warm-White) or LED's.

Best,

Chas

PostPosted: Oct Mon 23, 2017 5:37 pm 

Thanks for the thoughtful replies so far. To clarify, I did use an opaque toner. I was thinking I would use a lighter, opaque toner color to cover the darker toner kind of like painting the walls of a room with a different color?. In addition, what type of finish sealer would you recommend?

PostPosted: Oct Mon 23, 2017 6:40 pm 

You might get a few different opinions about the finish, but most of the radios were finished in lacquer.. I use lacquer .
Dan in Calgary

PostPosted: Oct Fri 27, 2017 2:44 am 

Thanks to all that replied. Ended up using an opaque toner (dark walnut) and sprayed over the existing toner (extra dark walnut). Made a big difference! How many finish coats would you recommend? I'm using Mohawk clear lacquer satin gloss. Should I wet/dry sand between coats or wait until I'm done?

PostPosted: Oct Sat 28, 2017 8:07 am 

The clear gloss is actually the better one to go with rather than satin. It will hold up better than the satin and can be polished out to a satin finish when you are done. You can finish it to whatever gloss you want .You can dry sand with 400 grit paper very lightly or I have used 0000 steel wool between. I have also had sets that turned out fine without sanding between. If you have a dust issue or other finish issue then you would want to sand it lightly. I like using the steel wool however be sure you clean afterwards with a tack rag so as to not get fibers or sanding dust in your finish. Also be very careful on the edges when using sandpaper. Thats one of the reasons I like the fine steel wool its a lot harder to go through and create a problem. They make 4 grades 0, 00, 000, and 0000 which is the finest and it works well to remove any dust particles. I pretty much stick with the finest grade on the finish end. One of the reasons that its better to use the high gloss is that in order to get the satin or flat they put additives in the lacquer thats why they dont hold up as well as the gloss plus its a lot easier to create a satin finish with gloss than to try to get a glossier finish when using satin if you are not happy with the results. Mohawk also makes several different spray buttons for their cans so you might want to order a few different ones and play with them. On your coats of toner I would not use any more coats than needed for good coverage. Sam

PostPosted: Oct Sat 28, 2017 4:40 pm 

Never had any probs with Mohawk Satin 75% gloss. Can be buffed to a bigger shine using a car rubbing compound or rottenstone.

The shine can be reduced with #0000 WW, the one that comes out flat off a roll, but you should wrap it around a block and smear it well with beeswax. If the finish has gone on well, and it does for me in a clean workplace, a light rub is all that is needed for a satin finish. Need to wait a week or two before doing this.

Best to spray each surface horizontal by hanging the cabinet off of two sturdy battens clamped to a bench. With care you can rotate the cab about every 10 – 15 minutes. Do the front with the cab laid on a flat board. No need to flat down between coats, just rub off any 'nibs' (dust specks) with a light touch of say 1000 grit, but you should wait longer before doing this so the lacquer is properly dry. Seldom do it anyway.

Normally 4 to 5 coats of lacquer is all I do.

Needs to be warm with humidity < 60%, , and it isn’t here now. So if cold and damp where you are, don’t bother unless you can heat the shop.

Gary

PostPosted: Nov Thu 16, 2017 3:20 pm 

Thanks for the replies. Ended up resanding a couple of areas on the base that needed it, remasking, and spraying the lighter toner (which is opaque) over the darker color. I used Mohawk medium walnut. It came out pretty well for a first time effort. Now onto the next project although any spraying projects are on hold for the next few months. These Michigan winters are pretty cold.