Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Tue 12, 2017 12:11 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Shoe-polish on faded bakelite - it does work!
PostPosted: Oct Fri 27, 2017 4:04 pm 

I have a dark brown bakelite 7" Admiral tabletop TV in which the top has the typical sun-faded look. I polished it with Novus and it looked better, but not as good as I hoped for. Last night I decided to try the Kiwi shoe-polish trick. I really put a lot of elbow grease in both the application and final buff and was amazed to see the surface finally get a dark rich glow. I'm a believer now!
PS - Wish I could post a pic, but I haven't found a decent photo hosting site as of yet.

Post subject: Re: Shoe-polish on faded bakelite - it does work!
PostPosted: Oct Fri 27, 2017 5:48 pm 

I found this brand to be very good on bakelite.

[img]
Attachment:
s-l1600.jpg
[/img]

Attachments:
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg [ 113.02 KiB | Viewed 744 times ]

PostPosted: Oct Fri 27, 2017 5:53 pm 
Site Admin

Shoe polish is just colored wax, easy to remove with naphtha or mineral spirits.

decojoe67 wrote:
PS - Wish I could post a pic, but I haven't found a decent photo hosting site as of yet.

You could just upload photos with your post.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 27, 2017 7:15 pm 

Alan Voorhees wrote:
Shoe polish is just colored wax, easy to remove with naphtha or mineral spirits.

decojoe67 wrote:

You could just upload photos with your post.

I'm so used to Photobucket which allowed the pic to be in jpg format, so I could attach it here. If I try it with a photo from my comp. photo files, it won't work. I must say that I'm totally not a computer person, so trying to figure it out myself is not going to happen! :lol:

PostPosted: Oct Fri 27, 2017 7:29 pm 

decojoe67 wrote:
I'm so used to Photobucket which allowed the pic to be in jpg format, so I could attach it here. If I try it with a photo from my comp. photo files, it won't work. I must say that I'm totally not a computer person, so trying to figure it out myself is not going to happen! :lol:

Sure it can!
Take a look at what the file extension is on your hard drive pics. Then Google "free conversion from (your extension) to jpeg", and you'll get several sites that'll convert them for free. Then just size them down in paint shop, to 800 pixels max per side. My camera always yields 1600 x 1200 pixels, so I just re-size to 50%.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 27, 2017 8:47 pm 

fifties wrote:
decojoe67 wrote:

Sure it can!
Take a look at what the file extension is on your hard drive pics. Then Google "free conversion from (your extension) to jpeg", and you'll get several sites that'll convert them for free. Then just size them down in paint shop, to 800 pixels max per side. My camera always yields 1600 x 1200 pixels, so I just re-size to 50%.

Thanks. I will try that, but it looks intimidating to a non-computer guy to be honest! I miss the old Photobucket! :(

PostPosted: Oct Sat 28, 2017 12:54 am 

Or just set your camera to take the pictures in 640 X 480 format. That usually works without doing any processing.

PostPosted: Oct Sat 28, 2017 4:40 am 

Some very thorough step by step to resize and post photos directly to the phorum at this other post.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=329341

PostPosted: Oct Sat 28, 2017 5:58 am 

Thanks guys. I tried resizing and that seemed easy, but what happens next? All my photo shows under it in my file is DSC00590 (???) I'm expected to do a copy and paste with something that ends in ....jpg., like I did with Photobucket. What do I actually paste here on my post? I'm confused! :(

PostPosted: Oct Sat 28, 2017 5:37 pm 

Right click on one of your photos, and a dropdown box should appear. At the bottom of it's list should be the "properties" option. Click on that, and it will state the type of file it is. Then you can go to a free file converter and change it to a JPEG image.

Once you have that, when you post, in the filename area, click on "choose file". A field will open, displaying your HD items. Find the pic, click on "open", and then, "add the file".

PostPosted: Oct Sat 28, 2017 10:37 pm 

fifties wrote:
Right click on one of your photos, and a dropdown box should appear. At the bottom of it's list should be the "properties" option. Click on that, and it will state the type of file it is. Then you can go to a free file converter and change it to a JPEG image.

Once you have that, when you post, in the filename area, click on "choose file". A field will open, displaying your HD items. Find the pic, click on "open", and then, "add the file".

Thanks you for the info.
Update! I finally got it. Thank you fifties for making it simple and clear, and thanks again to everyone else who tried to help.
Now back to the shoe-polish on my Admiral. The results from a faded, dull cabinet:

Attachments:
DSC00601.JPG
DSC00601.JPG [ 162.66 KiB | Viewed 627 times ]

PostPosted: Nov Tue 07, 2017 6:21 pm 

Hey now, does that ever look sharp! I also didn't realize shoe polish was colored wax. Makes sense now that I know better. :) So which shade of Kiwi did you use?

PostPosted: Nov Sun 12, 2017 4:43 am 

Kevin Kuehn wrote:
Hey now, does that ever look sharp! I also didn't realize shoe polish was colored wax. Makes sense now that I know better. :) So which shade of Kiwi did you use?

I used black. I found darker shades best when refreshing darker toned cabinets. I never believed shoe-polish would work, but I was pleasantly surprised. This Admiral TV had that sort-of greyish sun-bleached look. Now it really looks sharp. I really put a lot of elbow grease in both applying and removing the polish though.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 13, 2017 11:04 pm 

Shoe polish also works well on the leatherette coverings of Trans Oceanics and such.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 15, 2017 3:17 am 

Allen G wrote:
Shoe polish also works well on the leatherette coverings of Trans Oceanics and such.

Good to know. I often will do a layering of different products to refresh a tired finish - even wiping stain. Between the repetitive buffing and the added coloring of the products, you'd be surprised how good it often turns out.