Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 18, 2017 11:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Brush on Lacquer?
PostPosted: Nov Mon 06, 2017 5:18 pm 

Dnitram
Keep us posted on what you think!

PostPosted: Nov Tue 21, 2017 3:59 pm 

Ray P wrote:
Dnitram

Honestly, though I've just refinished 4 cabinets since I bought the poly, I haven't had the "guts" to try it on the nicer radios I just completed. I use lacquer stains, lacquer toning lacquers, grain fillers, etc. There seems to be some question to the compatibility of lacquer and poly and I can't afford the extra time to make mistakes (stripping & starting over, etc.). When I start on a simple cabinet that doesn't need toning and can use Minwax stain, I'll give it a shot... Until then, though I DO want to try poly, I've got to stay true to what has worked for my for nearly 30 years 8)

K4DLM

PostPosted: Nov Wed 22, 2017 12:50 am 

Dnitram wrote:
Ray P wrote:
Dnitram

Honestly, though I've just refinished 4 cabinets since I bought the poly, I haven't had the "guts" to try it on the nicer radios I just completed. I use lacquer stains, lacquer toning lacquers, grain fillers, etc. There seems to be some question to the compatibility of lacquer and poly and I can't afford the extra time to make mistakes (stripping & starting over, etc.). When I start on a simple cabinet that doesn't need toning and can use Minwax stain, I'll give it a shot... Until then, though I DO want to try poly, I've got to stay true to what has worked for my for nearly 30 years 8)

I've done it works. Relax.

Simple test ... test it on a scrap board.
Stain it, tone it, even paint on it too. whatever. Let it all dry properly.
Then apply the Wipe on poly.
Report back with smile on face and sheepish look. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Nov Tue 28, 2017 7:48 pm 

Pbpix,

Will do, but will try on a smaller cabinet IN CASE I screw it up, it'll be easy to fix :lol:

K4DLM

PostPosted: Nov Wed 29, 2017 12:35 am 

Dnitram wrote:
Pbpix,

Will do, but will try on a smaller cabinet IN CASE I screw it up, it'll be easy to fix :lol:

Why wait for a cabinet?
Just take some wood stock and stain it and then use some toner on it too and also paint an area.
When it all dries thoroughly then just... wipe on the Poly
This will give you a chance to determine if you feel comfortable applying it over various finishes.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 01, 2017 3:06 am 

When I first got started with refinishing cabinets 20 yrs ago I got to a point in this inexact science where I was a bit confused, and did some marginal work, and I had some pretty neat radios in the queue. So rather than screw those up I decided to buy some junky, basket case radios at auction and just experiment. I read a lot, spent some coin on different products and got going on these junkers. One cabinet I did three times, trying to get the hang of veneer repair, grain filler, spraying from rattle cans etc. I did probably 10 projects and sold them all as project radios at Kutztown, being surprised at how they turned out.

So give that idea a shot, practice on something cheap, and don't give up.
cheers

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 26 posts ]  Moderator: Peter Go to page Previous  1, 2