Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sun 17, 2017 9:14 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Crosley 56TP-L restoration
PostPosted: Nov Fri 03, 2017 6:07 pm 

I am starting a restoration on a Crosley 56TP-L radio/phonograph. I am trying to gather as much info as possible and as usual coming up with all sorts of questions. First trying to figure out what I have for sure. The two links show two different cabinet styles. radiomuseum.org is a match for mine (attached photo) and says it was made from 1946 to 1948. radioatticarchives.com says it was made in 1946. The reason I ask is the difference in the cabinets. Mine has two flush black stripes around the lid and has raised trim around the speaker opening and the dial face as shown on radiomuseum.org. The other link does not have this. This is really just for my information on when it was made.

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/crosley_56tpl.html

http://www.radioatticarchives.com/radio.htm?radio=11804

Questions I have so far:
1- What is the difference in these two? Were the stripes on the cover added in a later year then 1946?

2-What and how do I refurbish the black painted areas around the cover edge, around the cabinet base and decorative small grooves extending from the speaker opening and dial opening around each side? More directly what kind of paint( if paint) can be top coated with laquer?

3- I have been unable to find any info about the turn table and it's parts. The only info on the motor assembly is the patent number (2,261,889) and white stenciled numbers and letters of 117V.60CY. What sources are available for rebuilding turn tables and replacement parts?

4-I am not versed in reading wood grains and types of woods. Yet. I stripped the chipped and cracked laqeur finish from the top of the cover to reveal a very nice wood grain. What kind of wood is this?

That's all for now and look forward to any and all responses.

P>S> Sorry about the upside down pic. No matter what i did it came out this way.

Attachments:
Front.resized.jpg
Front.resized.jpg [ 156.06 KiB | Viewed 278 times ]
cover.resized.jpg
cover.resized.jpg [ 144.72 KiB | Viewed 278 times ]

Post subject: Re: Crosley 56TP-L restoration
PostPosted: Nov Fri 10, 2017 12:53 pm 

I will add to my post for any comments that may happen. In regards to my question number one, the stripes on the phonograph lid are inlaid into the wood and not painted on. Is this a one year only feature?

Attachments:
20171109_102159.resized.jpg
20171109_102159.resized.jpg [ 146.36 KiB | Viewed 217 times ]
20171109_101938.resized.jpg
20171109_101938.resized.jpg [ 111.19 KiB | Viewed 217 times ]

Post subject: Re: Crosley 56TP-L restoration
PostPosted: Nov Sun 12, 2017 4:18 pm 

2. The only paint you can be really safe for under lacquer is lacquer obliterating toner. So if you were using a Mohawk lacquer than use a Black Tone Toner. Mohawks name for the obliterating kind. The other toner they do is called Classic Toner and is lacquer tinted with a dye that can be used to shade the veneer.

It is possible you could use an acrylic paint after the lacquer and I have in the past used this under it but on my last attempt the paint developed hair line cracks even though it was given masses of time to be full dry.

I guess you will be sanding down the black trim and not totally stripping it although this may give a better result. It all depends if you can flow the chipped areas well enough into the surrounding area.

For painting it I never brush as it looks just like that's what you did. I mask and spray, wasteful on toner but gives the best result.

BTW too cold and damp most places for spraying now unless you have a heated 'shop'.

4. Walnut most likely

Gary