Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Tue 16, 2018 12:49 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Zenith 12S270 grille cloth location?
PostPosted: May Sun 13, 2018 3:22 pm 

Getting ready to put the grille cloth in my freshly finished 12S370 but dont know if it goes on the back of the grille bars themselves or on the sound board... When I got it there was couch fabric stapled to the back of the grille bars but dont know if that is the correct location or not... It is hard to tell by pictures because the bars are so close together it is hard to see the cloth... Does anyone have an original one to tell me where the cloth goes? Thanks!!!

Post subject: Re: Zenith 12S270 grille cloth location?
PostPosted: May Sun 13, 2018 3:54 pm 

sdradioman wrote:
Getting ready to put the grille cloth in my freshly finished 12S370 but dont know if it goes on the back of the grille bars themselves or on the sound board... When I got it there was couch fabric stapled to the back of the grille bars but dont know if that is the correct location or not... It is hard to tell by pictures because the bars are so close together it is hard to see the cloth... Does anyone have an original one to tell me where the cloth goes? Thanks!!!

If you remove the speaker board you should be able to spot traces of adhesive and fabric threads on the outside-facing surface, if the cloth were originally glued directly to the speaker board. However, Zenith models which used curved grilles usually had a grille cloth "former" which consisted of two or three pieces of wood cut to conform to the curve of the inside of the grille, and which were glued/screwed to the flat speaker board at its top, bottom, and (sometimes) center. Over this was stapled "hardware cloth". The grille fabric was laid over this and glued to the speaker board along the sides, and to the wood formers at the top and bottom.

Not all Zenith consoles for 1938 used this grillecloth-frame system: for models which had closely-spaced grille bars, it would have been more or less pointless and so the cloth would have been applied directly to the flat speaker board.

Post subject: Re: Zenith 12S370 grille cloth location?
PostPosted: May Sun 13, 2018 6:18 pm 

I've had two of these radios. The cloth is glued to the back of the horizontal bars. Make sure you get enough cloth to cover the ends on both sides!

Looking for mid to late 1930s Canadian Rogers, Majestic, and DeForest Crosley radios