Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sat 16, 2017 4:34 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: How do you clean grille cloth?
PostPosted: Nov Thu 16, 2017 4:59 pm 

40 years ago I restored my first radio. I removed the grille cloth and threw it in the washing machine. I learned not to do that ever again. What method do you guys use to clean grille cloths?

Post subject: Re: How do you clean grille cloth?
PostPosted: Nov Thu 16, 2017 5:15 pm 

I have had luck with dry cleaning. I found this kit at Meijer a few years ago. Has a zip up bag and some sheets with the dry cleaning chemical. Stick it in the dryer for 30 min and voila!

PostPosted: Nov Fri 17, 2017 5:02 pm 

Never had any luck ... Just replace.

Gary

PostPosted: Nov Fri 24, 2017 2:25 pm 

You can always try and clean it but you need to be careful. I cleaned the grill cloth on my Zenith 6S321 but the cloth was adhered to a screen mesh. I gently covered it with GoJo (non-pumice formulation), let it sit for an hour, then gently rinsed it off with cold water. Then gently padded it dry with a towel. The key is to not remove the cloth from its' backing. I have tried that a couple of times and ruined the cloth. Here are some before and after pictures. If you go this route do it at your own risk.

BEFORE

AFTER

You can see in the second picture that the cloth shrank a little. In my application you do not see the shrinkage when the cloth is installed in the cabinet. Again, if you go this route do it at your own risk.

Good luck!

- Geoff

PostPosted: Nov Fri 24, 2017 5:52 pm 

Old rayon grille cloth will decompose if wet. Rayon is a wood product that is "spun" in an acid bath and neutralized. Part of the decomposition process is the exposure to the home environment. Cooking oder, tobacco, wood, fuel oil smoke, ozone & U.V. light take their toll and add water, done...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rayon

https://www.whalingmuseum.org/explore/l ... aids/mss25

Turning a the typical design of rayon grill cloth over will reverse the pattern, often making it look cleaner.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 29, 2017 10:47 pm 

I tried a technique on German radio grill cloth that I read about on RadioMuseum. A lot of German radios from the 50's and 60's develop what looks like water stains on their light-colored grill cloths. The RadioMuseum poster recommended using a solution of half household bleach and half water. You paint this solution on the cloth with a brush until it is thoroughly wet and then blot the excess off with pure white paper towels.

You can leave the cloth in place and installed on the radio, no need to take it off. Then let the cloth dry thoroughly for a few hours. Believe it or not, it works! The stains are usually gone and the entire cloth looks clean, albeit a slight shade lighter. I have tried this on 4 cloths with a 75% success rate. If the cloth looks so bad that you were going to change it anyway, what have you got to lose?

PostPosted: Dec Fri 01, 2017 12:28 am 

If it's a hard-to-find cloth and you don't have any choice, follow Geoff's method. I use woolite; just soak it flat, and run cool water over it. I've saved a few and ruined a few this way.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 5:43 am 

I used a foaming carpet cleaner on the grille of this RCA record player. After it dried, I gently wiped the grille off with a damp cloth. It removed much, but not all off the dirt/stains. I was reluctant to scrub, as you might with a soiled carpet, or vacuum it. I might try carpet cleaner on a an older radio grille cloth only if it were securely glued to the cardboard backing, and ideally, out of the radio.

Attachment:
B0B0946A-1513-45DB-B675-E4E941425BA6-12150-000008BED03BC1FB.jpeg
B0B0946A-1513-45DB-B675-E4E941425BA6-12150-000008BED03BC1FB.jpeg [ 105.79 KiB | Viewed 115 times ]