Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 18, 2017 11:35 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Wooden Speaker Grille Help
PostPosted: Nov Fri 17, 2017 10:05 pm 

Hi: If anyone could give me some tips on making a replacement wooden speaker grille. I have a Deforest Crosley Model Brock radio with the grille busted out I have a pattern to cut a new one with a scroll saw. What type of plywood wood be best to use ? I have estimated thickness at 1/4" plus thickness of veneer. Should I apply veneer first before cutting shape with scroll saw? Any tips would be greatly appreciated, I have included a picture of the same radio showing what the grille should look like.

Thanks
Sidevalvebob

Attachments:
File comment: Speaker Grille
Untitled-1 copy.jpg
Untitled-1 copy.jpg [ 155.86 KiB | Viewed 317 times ]

Post subject: Re: Wooden Speaker Grille Help
PostPosted: Nov Fri 17, 2017 11:53 pm 

You will need a cabinet veneer "plywood" It has a poplar or gum wood core, a cross-band layer of same and either one or both sides with the finished veneer. This type of furniture "plywood" does not have any voids and has a compatible glue. It does not splinter when scroll cutting. If you can't find your desired finish wood and the project can deal with an increase thickness get gum-wood both sides and glue on your own finish veneer.

Get the finest (teeth per inch) finish blade possible for the scroll saw...

There may be an ogee to the grill cut out. Dremel makes router bits for that purpose.

GL

Chas

PostPosted: Nov Sat 18, 2017 6:30 pm 

Thank You Chas:
The information will certainly come in handy as this will be my first time doing this.
Thanks
Sidevalvebob

PostPosted: Nov Tue 21, 2017 6:29 am 

Are you sure you can't repair the original grill?
Piece in scrap rood to replace missing wood. small clamps and glue. Wax paper to prevent gluing the clamps and blocks to the grill. Perhaps apply old reclaimed veneer for missing veneer. sand it level. sand the whole grill and re-stain to desired color.
Be a challenge to cut a new grill with uniformly thick grillwork - and a lot of careful sanding
Otherwise:
If you have a WOODCRAFT store reasonably close, should have a variety of 1/4 and 3/8 cabinet grade Birch faced plywood in a variety of sizes - 2x2, 3x3 etc.
I have used 3/8" and adding nice veneer to make a couple Scott radio panels. 1/4 is too flimsy for a grill, I think.

I recommend you apply the desired veneer first, let glue cure a couple days.
For a grill, the peal and press veneer may work pretty well (Woodcraft, again)
I used Titebond 2 liquid, apply a uniform coat to back of the veneer and surface of plywood, let dry to touch 40 minutes or more then use a old electric iron "hot" and press the veneer firmly to the plywood. (Find the thread on ARF for detail discussion.)
I think it may be better to stain the plywood and apply a couple coats of finish before cutting the grill.
Use what is left of the old grill to make a pattern on thin paper, maybe tracing paper or onion skin paper.
Use a light coat of spray adhesive to your pattern, let get tacky, (will almost be like a Post-It) then press onto the wood .
Then cut the plywood, remove the pattern, sand the edges, stain the cut and sanded edge.
Then use a spray shellac or lacquer to complete finishing the grill.
Oh yes, practice with some scrap plywood and veneer to develop your veneer and cutting technique first.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 22, 2017 3:34 pm 

Thank You Dave:
Great information, I will have to make a pattern as I have nothing left of the grill however you can see the pattern on the grill cloth. With all this information the job is looking easier.

Thanks Again
Sidevalvebob