Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 18, 2017 3:54 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Zenith 10-S-155 Dial Replacement
PostPosted: Nov Thu 23, 2017 2:00 pm 

Looking for a good writeup to replace my dial face and control dial face. I'm concerned about breaking the two pointers they seem real fragile. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Zenith 10-S-155 Dial Replacement
PostPosted: Nov Fri 24, 2017 3:24 am 

Both pointers are press fit onto the shafts. Grasp the gold one around the center and joggle it back and forth as you pull gently. The red one behind it is similar deal. You are twisting against the mass of the flywheel inside as there is no way to "lock up" the shaft to twist against.
You will want to replace the dial belt, the dial shades and chassis washers besides the usual capacitors and such.
I have all this stuff if you need moppat at comcast dot net
Mark Oppat
Antique Audio
Plymouth, MI

Post subject: Re: Zenith 10-S-155 Dial Replacement
PostPosted: Nov Sun 26, 2017 2:25 pm 

Assuming you are starting from the beginning with your disassembly.
When the chassis is on your bench, you will need to remove the dial glass first.

There are 3 or 4 spring steel retainer clips that hold the glass to the dial pan, carefully pry them off with a small screwdriver avoiding any direct pressure on the glass with the screwdriver.

After the clips are off, put the glass away in a safe place. If original clips are missing, I have fabricated replacements from spring steel clip nuts sold at some automotive and hardware stores.

There is a fiber gasket between the glass and the dial. Often the gasket will be in poor condition. I have never located a source for these gaskets but have cut out replacements from fiber board of the proper thickness and blackened with a permanent marker.

As Mark mentioned, the pointers pull right off. Once the pointers are off, the dial can be removed. The dial can be quite brittle, so handle with care. This goes for the scales on the controls as well. They can be removed from the control shafts by loosening the set screws on their collars.

You should consider adding heat diffuser shields to the pilot lights to avoid possible overheating and melting the dial.

You did not ask about it, but while the dial is disassembled is an ideal time to refurbish the tuner gang mechanical drive. They are often filthy with dirt and dried grease and will be hard to turn with the tuning knob, which results in belt slippage even with a new belt. Once cleaned and lubricated, the tuning mechanism will be silky smooth and the flywheel will really spin with a flick of the tuning knob. I highly recommend this step in the restoration of a black dial Zenith radio.

Also, you should consider replacing the rubber grommets that the tuning gang rests on. They are usually compressed or disintegrated after 80 years. Replacing the grommets will restore the gang to the correct operating height so the dial shaft aligns properly with the opening in the dial.

Consider taking some pictures at each stage of disassembly to facilitate reassembly.