Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 18, 2017 11:46 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Zenith 6-S-321 Photofinish Options
PostPosted: Nov Fri 24, 2017 2:10 pm 

I have a Zenith 6-S-321 with a badly damaged cabinet. I've had it kicking around for awhile now and want to finally get started on it. While the cabinet can be repaired, the Photofinish can not. Here is a photo:

It looks a lot worse than what it really is and the repairs should be pretty basic. The broken piece along the right corner is just the outer cheap nondescript veneer that wraps around the more solid wood underneath. The wood underneath is undamaged.

The only option I see if to replace the Photofinish with actual veneer. Can anyone help identify which veneer type was being replicated on this set? It looks like there are two types (plus of course the thin black stripe). I found this photo after a Google search:

- Geoff

Post subject: Re: Zenith 6-S-321 Photofinish Options
PostPosted: Nov Fri 24, 2017 5:47 pm 

Hello,

Have you looked here?

http://www.vintageradiolabels.com/refaux-pro.html

Carter

PostPosted: Nov Fri 24, 2017 6:03 pm 

Yes, I had him try and make a reproduction label awhile back but it didn't come out as good as the other reproductions he offers. Don't get me wrong. I think the items he offers look superb. When he made mine it was a one-off and I think he has had more time to perfect the other reproductions he offers. Plus, I think with the ones he offers he can actually lay the face of the radio on a scanner to get a good copy. Mine is more difficult with the rounded edges. All I could do was send pictures and dimensions. Maybe if there were more people looking for that particular reproduction he could perfect it.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 25, 2017 4:17 am 

I would go with real burl veneer. Going to be tuff getting it tight and straight. Look at the different veneers on eBay and pick one out that resembles that on the radio. Or you could re veneer the whole cabinet first in mahogany? then order that burl wood decal in a sheet mentioned above in post that's if he will sell it that way, make a templet for burl wood decal then apply the burl decal, then you can seal over everything on the cabinet with ez vinyl sealer make by Mohawk, then mask off a line for your black stripe and spray paint in lacquer the black stripe on. Remove masking paper and then sealer again, lightly sand sealer smooth and clear coat with your semi or satin lacquer clear coat. Walla. That's probably what I would do.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 26, 2017 8:59 am 

The burl veneer sounds like the right choice but what about the vertical striped pattern? Any idea what wood is being replicated there?

PostPosted: Nov Mon 27, 2017 3:23 am 

Recently while at Hershey at the giant antique car swap meet I met a vendor who sells supplies to refinish the steel dashes in old cars which were faux woodgrain. They have all the tints and inks and the print plates and rubber transfer rollers for sale. I will find the web site and reply with a link. They demonstrated and it was amazing. I assume the radios were painted like this and so I hope this will help you.
Just found it: woodgraining.com grain it techonoligies

PostPosted: Nov Mon 27, 2017 6:59 pm 

If you wanted to make wood grain with stain, it can be done. I would get a few pieces of wood to practice on. Again, practice on scrap wood close to the type on the cabinet.

I would sand and seal it first. Then put down a coat of yellow dye stain. Do a good job and put it down really even. Then you can seal it again. A light sanding of the sealer when dry will smooth out any bumps. 400 grit is good. After seeing how good the darker brown stains look over the yellow, I would not be afraid to try it.

Next you would need a Glazing Stain. Mowhawk and others make this product. Probably a VanDyke brown or what ever color you like. You can put it down with a cloth. While applying the stain, work in swirls and subtle patterns with the stain. You can also use a good quality dry brush to work the stain.

With some patients you can make the photo finish look. I have seen this done first hand and it will be pretty good looking. It is a bit of work and harder to do on small areas, but is worth a shot.

Just my thoughts.

People may not remember how fast you did a job, but they will remember how well you did it.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 27, 2017 10:05 pm 

Wascator wrote:
Recently while at Hershey at the giant antique car swap meet I met a vendor who sells supplies to refinish the steel dashes in old cars which were faux woodgrain. They have all the tints and inks and the print plates and rubber transfer rollers for sale. I will find the web site and reply with a link. They demonstrated and it was amazing. I assume the radios were painted like this and so I hope this will help you.
Just found it: woodgraining.com grain it techonoligies

Thanks. I checked out the website. Some very nice reproductions. A little more money than I'm willing to spend on this project though :D :D :D .

PostPosted: Nov Tue 28, 2017 12:59 am 

This vendor and many others will also apply the finish to your piece. Antique car vendors is the most common place to iI see this service offered.
Bon chance!

PostPosted: Dec Sat 02, 2017 10:34 pm 

Please keep us posted on your progress.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 02, 2017 10:57 pm 

Will do. I'm no artist so I'll be going the veneer route.

Still trying to figure out what veneer is being replicated with the vertical grain that goes across the front top and left side though.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 04, 2017 1:57 am 

Looks like it may be mahogany.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 6:41 pm 

fred taylor wrote:
Looks like it may be mahogany.

I'll second that.