Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 18, 2017 5:23 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Zenith 6G004Y Global restoration question
PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 9:20 pm 

I recently acquired one of these.

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/zenith_6g ... h6c41.html

The "black stag" cloth is very fragile--I lightly bumped the corner against a table when I was moving it and a small piece of the covering disintegrated. Is there any way to stabilize the dry, brittle cloth?

Post subject: Re: Zenith 6G004Y Global restoration question
PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 11:54 pm 

I can't answer your question to stop the flaking. Someone here much smarter than I maybe able to help you, but
I have 2 (new to me) TO-8g005 models and the oldest is about the age of yours. I have the same problem. The coating is almost gone and if I rub my finger over it, I have flakes coming off. It looks like it was covered with black cheese cloth. My second one is a few years newer and is in pretty good shape. No flaking problem. Maybe they used a cheaper Stag in that time period. I had a TO-600 in real bad shape and recovered it with Tolex. It came out stunning. After I finish this chassis, I'll recover that one also. I'm not real wild about doing it because it doesn't look it's 70+ year old age, but what we have now is real ugly.

Welcome and I hope you have as much fun as we do.
Freeman.

Post subject: Re: Zenith 6G004Y Global restoration question
PostPosted: Dec Wed 13, 2017 7:20 pm 

Thanks for the advice! On further inspection it seems like just the one corner (of course, the one I bumped) is fragile. There's a rip in the covering there and the edges are fraying. I'm going to try glueing it down and applying black shoe dye as I've seen recommended elsewhere.

In other news, I've been trying to get the wave magnet off, but it seems permanently attached to the two snaps that are used for the antenna electrical contacts. The other holding snaps come off more easily. I'm afraid to put more pressure for fear of cracking the plastic, but I need to get it off to repair the paper covering that is peeling off inside the front cover. Does anyone have advice for removing these older, thin plastic wave magnets?