Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Mon 28, 2018 11:03 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Toner, Dye or Stain?
PostPosted: Apr Tue 24, 2018 10:17 pm 

I'm looking for some advice on how to proceed with this. I've had a couple radio cabinets with similar issues, and wasn't happy with my results. I've stripped this mahogany rocking chair (my wife's grandmother's grandmother's), and as you can see there's a lot of difference in the wood color. There seems to be a lot of red/orange pigment coming off; I used solvent stripper, and have washed it several times with acetone/lacquer thinner solution. I really don't want to sand it, and have no idea how deep the coloring goes. I'm looking to color it to a dark walnut shade (or thereabouts). Any product advise would sure be appreciated. (P.S.: I know it's a cardinal sin to refinish antique furniture, but this chair had a couple sloppy coats of varnish slapped onto it over the years, so I didn't feel too bad doing so.)

Dan

Attachments:
Chair On Deck.jpg
Chair On Deck.jpg [ 209.04 KiB | Viewed 203 times ]

Post subject: Re: Toner, Dye or Stain?
PostPosted: Apr Thu 26, 2018 12:06 am 

I would use an oil based stain on that because a dye dries too fast and there are a lot of in's and out's there.
I would then use a second (or third) coat on just the light wood areas as needed.
If that didn't do the trick, I would use a matching toner to get the light areas to match, but only if using a compatible top coat such as lacquer.
Pretty sure that Mohawk makes their toners to match their stain colors.

If it were my chair, personally, I would use a catalyzed lacquer or conversion varnish for durability.