Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Mon 20, 2017 6:22 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Model TV-11 tube tester smells hot
PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 9:04 am 

I have used this tester lots of times with no problems. Last night I checking a tube and when I pressed the button to test the tube my needle went crazy. When I turn it on to test the needle goes all the way to the right and stays. When I turn the test button off and just leave power on the needle stays between the left and middle and won't adjust with the knob. I took the cover off to look inside and was a wire disconnected from the transformer, but can't tell where it goes. Wires are color coded but schematic does not give colors. Also when turned on the needle knob adjustment control switch seems to be getting hot and smells like it is burning. Don't know where to attach the wire, it's possible I could have pulled it loose when removing the cover. Any help would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Model TV-11 tube tester smells hot
PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 10:19 am 

Did you do a SHORTS test on the tube before the quality test?
That's always the mandatory first step, to prevent a shorted tube possibly damaging the tester.

The most common problem with vintage equipment is bad electrolytic caps in the power supply.
These are prime candidates for replacement in any restoration.

You'll have to consult the schematic to identify the loose wire.

I only use wire colors to assist in signal tracing within a specific instrument.
Even if the schematic shows colors, I don't believe them since they can change.
The exception is the leads from the power transformer, which should be consistent.

- Leigh

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 1:56 pm 

I'm afraid I check for shorts last. The wire that is disconnected is coming from the transformer, and by looking at the schematic I have no idea where it connects to.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 1:53 am 

There are no power supply electrolytic caps in this tester, it's a simple emission tester. Can you post some pics of your tester? Someone here may have one and can identify the wire location.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 6:14 am 

Where does the other end of the wire attach to, you should be able to trace it on the schematic. What color is the wire.

Dave

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 7:51 am 

That's the problem, don't know where it goes. Wires on schematic aren't colored or numbered, not very detailed. Will try to get picture put on here. Thanks...

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 8:23 am 

Where does the end that is still connected go? what color is that wire?

Dave

PostPosted: Jan Fri 13, 2017 7:37 am 

It is coming from the transformer and is stripped. Will have to get someone to tell me the color, I am colorblind. I am going to try to post picture of it if I can figure out how. Thanks.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 15, 2017 10:53 pm 

Greetings to Sinatra1982 and the Forum:

Please note: Leigh is absolutely correct: a test for shorts is a MUST BEFORE any other tests. A shorted tube can seriously damage the tube tester if emission or mutual conductance tests (quality) are performed. If a tube shows shorted on any position, remove it from the tester and discard the tube immediately.... such tubes are a hazard not only to the tube tester but to any equipment they may be installed in as well.

Regards,

PostPosted: Jan Tue 17, 2017 9:16 am 

The wire is yellow with green striping and is coming from the transformer. I am pretty sure it goes to the filament tuning switch, it has a lot of wires going to it from the transformer and I can't tell which connector it should be attached to. I tried one place and turned it on and the needle adjuster still wouldn't work. I could smell something getting hot and it smelled like it was coming from the adjustment needle switch getting hot and I turned it off right away. I can figure how to do it I will try and enclose copy of schematic and maybe picture if inside tester if it will help. Thanks for helping me everyone.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 27, 2017 3:32 am 

I GOT THE WIRE WHERE I BELIEVE IT SHOULD GO. I DON'T THINK THAT IS MY PROBLEM, I THINK IT CAME OFF WHEN I REMOVED THE CASE COVER. I THINK I MESSED SOMETHING UP WHEN THE TUBE I WAS TESTING SHORTED OUT. THE NEEDLE POINTER WON'T GO PAST THE LEFT SIDE OF THE DIAL AND WON'T MOVE WHEN USING THE KNOB TUNER. WHEN I TURN IT ON THERE IS SMOKE COMING FROM THE INSIDE OF THE KNOB TUNER AND SMELLS HOT. I'M GUESSING I BLEW A RESISTOR OR SOMETHING, I SEE ONLY ON LARGE 470K CAP AND IT TESTS OK. THERE ARE A COUPLE OF THINGS THAT I CAN'T TELL WHAT THEY ARE ( CAPS OR RESISTORS) AND CAN'T TELL FROM THE SCHEMATIC. IT IS A TV-11 AND HAS WORKED GOOD EVER SINCE I GOT IT SEVERAL MONTHS AGO. I TOOK PICTURES BUT CAN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO GET THEM ON HERE. APPRECIATE EVERYONE'S HELP WITH THIS.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 27, 2017 6:17 am 

My TV-11 has a problem with bad insulation in the transformer. All the filament voltages were low, and the transformer was hit, making the "hot" smell... I simply don't use it anymore, given I cannot find a replacement transformer for a reasonable cost.

Measure your filament voltages.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 27, 2017 8:04 am 

I took the cover and put my nose on the needle adjustment switch and can smell it. Also there is smoke coming from it. Transformer seems fine. Maybe the switch shorted out and needs replaced?
Do you think one would be hard to locate? Thanks.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 27, 2017 9:36 am 

PM me with your email and I will send you a high resolution picture of the bottom of the tester.

What is a needle adjustment switch?

Dave

PostPosted: Jan Sat 28, 2017 4:04 am 

There is a knob on the right side that you turn to center the needle one the dial. It turns from left to right and after you turn on the tester you user it to center the needle on the meter dial before you take any measurements.

PostPosted: Jan Sat 28, 2017 5:38 am 

That is called the "Line Adjust". There is also an adjustment on the meter itself to adjust the needle, and a resistor inside the tester to adjust the needle. Using proper terminology helps when describing a problem. I didn't know for sure which of these three adjustments you were describing.

Scan has been sent.

Dave

PostPosted: Feb Wed 01, 2017 6:47 pm 

I think a need a new Line Adjust switch, would one be hard to come by?