Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jan Tue 23, 2018 12:52 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Best Alignment Tool Set ?
PostPosted: Jan Sun 14, 2018 6:56 am 

hello folks,

I am in need of a "good" non-metallic radio tv standard alignment tool kit.

I have some of the garbage thin plastic cheap alignment tools and they are so flimsy that all the heads either won't grip in the slug's slot or they bend or "propeller" like a cheap dollar general straight head screwdriver.

these cheap alignment tool kits that I have purchased are completely worthless.

so, what is the best one to get that will actually turn the carbon slugs in some vintage solid state equipment ?

which set is actually made of hard plastic or some kind of substance that makes its strength just shy of a metal screwdriver ?

I'm restoring dad's xmas present and I DON'T want to break the slugs in the IFT's.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=332961

thanks for any help. all these thin straight head, hex, and slotted alignment tools that i have here are worthless junk.

thanks.

steve

Post subject: Re: Best Alignment Tool Set ?
PostPosted: Jan Sun 14, 2018 9:59 am 

https://www.alliedelec.com/gc-electronics-582/70159720/

PostPosted: Jan Sun 14, 2018 2:52 pm 

thanks for the help. i rarely work on items that need these various styles of adjustment sticks,, or if i do, they don't need adjusted anyway.

all i really ever use is a few vintage larger hard plastic widdle sticks for the tube radios.

they have a tiny metal straight-edge mounted at the end are nearly as strong as a regular straight edge screwdriver.

just to make sure, this is a well built sturdy set that will actually turn a ferriete slug or a small ttrimmer without twisting off the hex/straight-edge/knurled/slotted end of the tweaking stick ?

the thin flimsy mushy plastic junk sticks i have here would not twist a strand of spaghetti wiithout rendering themselves useless..

thanks.

steve

PostPosted: Jan Sun 14, 2018 4:15 pm 

Nevermind… I see you want a hex set.

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Jan Mon 15, 2018 1:52 am 

For slots the ceramic tools are obviously firmer than plastic, but can break like glass such as a thin piece of ceramic is wont to do. Some of them seem more durable than others. As for hex, I also just use the plastic tools, some are green and marked Heathkit. Usually they have one thin shaft end that flexes and a shorter stiffer side. Well the ferrites are fragile too, and if you try to put alot of torque on a stuck ferrite, Blam. Either the coil gives or the slug. So it is actually better to get the slugs free to turn easily so that a lightweight plastic tool can adjust them rather than just getting a more burley tool. But if you are feeling brave, an Allen key can often break them free. Using something to soften up whatever is sticking them is better. Same with trimmer caps. IF they are stuck, work them free with a regular driver before using non metallic adjusters. Heck a tiny bit of lube oil on the screw threads can't hurt.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 15, 2018 2:53 am 

i am looking for hex, straight, and any other tool that comes in a complete set.

steve

PostPosted: Jan Mon 15, 2018 7:37 am 

wazz wrote:
Well the ferrites are fragile too, and if you try to put alot of torque on a stuck ferrite, Blam. Either the coil gives or the slug. So it is actually better to get the slugs free to turn easily so that a lightweight plastic tool can adjust them rather than just getting a more burley tool.

Exactly.
wazz wrote:
But if you are feeling brave, an Allen key can often break them free.

More often than not, however, the key will break the ferrite core. IOW, bad idea. Been there, done that.

wazz wrote:
Using something to soften up whatever is sticking them is better.

Exactly again. WD-40 is a good "softener".