Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jan Wed 16, 2019 1:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Simply Green to clean electronics
PostPosted: Jan Fri 11, 2019 5:31 pm 

I picked up a neat Dynaload 50V 15A load tester. The minus, I think it was stored by some wood burning furnace, but relatively briefly. The cabinet is a cage and the inside has blackish dust inside. The worst is probably that it smells like the inside of a wood stove :roll: . It actually cleans up fairly easily, not like its seared on or anything. Was thinking or partially disassembling it, spraying with simply green in the sink and rinse her off. I took the heat sinks off and the cage to clean already in the pic.

Attachment:
IMG_0300.JPG
IMG_0300.JPG [ 238.41 KiB | Viewed 300 times ]

Post subject: Re: Simply Green to clean electronics
PostPosted: Jan Fri 11, 2019 7:06 pm 

There was a thread here not long ago about removing cigarette residue and odor. I've been using Simple Green for that as well. It's one of few really effective cleaner/degreasers I've found that's both non-toxic and harmless to most painted labels on components (most, not all). Just be careful around printed labels, as this stuff will dissolve most inks.

A lot of people will put electronics in their dishwashers. To each their own, I suppose.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 11, 2019 7:15 pm 

Nice workmanship. I used to work for the company 40 years ago that made these, Transistor Devices, though I didn't work on Dynaloads. Hard to find these at a nice price because they're so well made

PostPosted: Jan Fri 11, 2019 7:52 pm 

If you don’t get water in things like the meter and transformers, and rinse all the cleanrr off, should be fine. Bake dry for a few hrs at 100 or so

PostPosted: Jan Fri 11, 2019 9:13 pm 

Ya, I wimped out in washing it in the sink. Just used small paper towel shreds and cotton tips. Wasn't that dirty but it smells all fresh now!

PostPosted: Jan Sat 12, 2019 12:37 am 

I myself would be nervous about those little blue pots.

PostPosted: Jan Sat 12, 2019 3:03 am 

Simple Green is known for eating aluminum. The USAF quit using it for washing planes for that very reason. The detergent will etch glass and other metals unless rinsed REALLY WELL. I wouldn't use it. I work at USPS and we use it for washing our trucks. It does attack the metal and the glass.

616-677-3706

PostPosted: Jan Sat 12, 2019 3:33 am 

Any strong alkaline cleaner will attack aluminum and glass. Simple Green isn't as alkaline as some others like
Mr. Clean, which contains lye! Automatic dishwasher detergent has Sodium Carbonate which is very alkaline.

PostPosted: Jan Sat 12, 2019 6:14 am 

There is an aluminum-safe version of Simple Green. I use an older version of it on my car's engine, etc.

https://www.simplegreen.com/en-us/house ... reaser--70
Quote:
Ideal for use on aluminum, chrome, titanium and other high-tech alloys, painted and gel-coated surfaces, anodized and electroplated parts, carbon fiber, a variety of metals, plastics, rubber and much more. It is effective for use on interior and exterior surfaces, automotive and marine-grade carpet, precision parts degreasing and the list goes on. From auto repair to restoration and rebuild shops, precision fabrication, metalworking and machining, Extreme Simple Green Motorsports Cleaner & Degreaser is economical, versatile and effective.

From the description on the YT video:
Quote:
Originally developed for the aircraft industry and geared toward safely cleaning high-tech aircraft exterior and engine surfaces, this product is an ideal choice for all of your motorsports cleaning and degreasing needs.

PostPosted: Jan Sat 12, 2019 12:00 pm 

Nicotine is one of the worlds best "finish" preservatives.

If you want to get rid of Nicotine smell as well as most any other organic grime, just use Ammonia. A little on a paper towel and literally one swipe and its gone. I'd use it in an open area or have a little fan to generate a little cross breeze.

This radio had a flat, dull yellow tinge to it when I opened the UPS box, but a few paper towels and Ammonia, nothing else, made it shine, note the reflections in the cabinet top. I've had more than a couple of "smoker's radios" that came out looking very similar to this one, with NO odor.

https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/

Mike

PostPosted: Jan Sat 12, 2019 12:25 pm 

I'm in the camp that says water is not something to be mixed with electronics. I do cleaning with IPA, mineral spirits, and---in specific, controlled, situations---acetone or lacquer thinner.

But--for controls with carbon tracks---don't use anything except WD-40, light oil, or maybe even mineral spirits

"It's always something". --Gilda Radner (1946 - 1989)