Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Feb Sat 16, 2019 2:36 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Test Equipment what do you today and back in the day
PostPosted: Oct Tue 24, 2017 5:48 pm 

This asking ever what you using today and if you work using test equipment be for 1980. Also what some of the tech said you needed to the work :?: :?: :?:

Dave

P.S.
Back 60's When I started I told You Need a good VOM and a RF Signal generator for a tube just go to the drug store and use one. It is better to have VTVM and or a OSCILLOSCOPE over VOM and for TV work a Genometer that will work as RF Signal generator too.

Post subject: Re: Test Equipment what do you today and back in the day
PostPosted: Oct Sat 28, 2017 5:45 pm 

The instrumentation that I use in the shop ranges from just after WWII to the 1990s. It doesn't matter to me how old an instrument is, what matters is 1) Does it do what I need it to do with sufficient accuracy and precision? and 2) Is it working properly and reliably and meets its factory specifications? For the most part my instrumentation is General Radio, Hewlett-Packard, and Tektronix, with some other manufacturers represented such as my Keithley bench DMM.

PostPosted: Oct Tue 31, 2017 2:57 pm 

If you're working on vintage AM radios you really don't need much. A vacuum tube voltmeter, a stable signal source, a good soldering iron, and a few known good tubes. That's what I used for years and it got me by.

Good luck with sticking with just that though. :lol:

PostPosted: Oct Tue 31, 2017 3:02 pm 

Steve Johnson wrote:

Good luck with sticking with just that though. :lol:

A VERY slippery slope indeed!

"The question is not what you look at, but what you see." Thoreau

PostPosted: Oct Tue 31, 2017 3:21 pm 

Back in the day - mid 70s...

First item - Isolation Transformer! Safety should be your first thought, not your last....
Second item - VOM/DMM
Third Item - Signal Tracer - Eico 147A
Fourth Item - Signal source - mine for years was a URM-25.
Added later - tube tester, FM MPX generator (We used a Leader), transistor tester (whistle box), 455Khz sweeper (ours was homemade, from a Navy 500KHz sweeper circuit....), variac, R-C 1KHz signal injector

PostPosted: Oct Tue 31, 2017 4:50 pm 

Dipmeter is very useful. For exactly adjust of that a trustful radio or a frequency counter.
Very helpful is a modded dipmeter what includes one of that small chinese f counter displays for adjust directly.

greetings
Martin

PostPosted: Oct Tue 31, 2017 6:17 pm 

Quote:
455Khz sweeper (ours was homemade, from a Navy 500KHz sweeper circuit....),
Do you use this for sweeping AM IF's?

PostPosted: Nov Thu 02, 2017 11:55 pm 

In the 1920s, most radio repair was done with "set analyzers," most of which doubled as VOMs and tube testers. Commercial signal generators were available but many people simply made their own. It wasn't until the mid-1930s that separate test instruments like VOMs, tube testers, and factory made signal generators became commonplace. Sweep generators and primitive oscilloscopes for radio alignment started to appear in the late 1930s, and the first VTVMs for the repair trade were offered in 1940.

After WW-2, television and FM promoted more elaborate test equipment. Higher frequency signal generators and tube testers that could test sweep tubes were introduced. Transistorized products, and color TV required more sensitive and sophisticated test equipment.

Variacs were almost never seen on radio repair benches in the old days; if anybody had one, it was used to catch malfunctions that occurred under high or low line voltage conditions. Isolation transformers were even more scarce. Although they had long been used in hospitals for safety, they're only mentioned briefly in one old radio repair textbook I've found, and then in connection with managing hum. Work benches and areas were expected to be set up in such manner as to prevent any unintentional ground contact, and test equipment was ungrounded, so it was extremely unlikely that any knowledgeable tech would get a shock in a well equipped shop. Variacs started gaining popularity in the 1970s for troubleshooting solid state gear that might go up in smoke before you could yank the plug out otherwise. Isolation transformers did not become common repair shop items until the late 1970s, when TVs with line operated, split voltage bridge rectifier power supplies came along. With those, the chassis is always 70 volts with respect to ground no matter how the set is plugged in, so there's no way to work on it without an isolation transformer.

Thomas A. Edison

PostPosted: Nov Fri 03, 2017 3:01 am 

Chris108 wrote:
In the 1920s, most radio repair was done with "set analyzers," ...

I enjoy having a ca. 1935 Triplett model 1167-A set tester (composed of a model 1125 VOM and a model 1166A free-point auxiliary set tester) for use with my oldest sets. It handles 4 pin through octal tubes.

I also own a ca. 1927 Sterling model R-411 home tube tester, an interesting beast that plugs into an '01A socket to get filament and plate voltages, and has a socket for the tube under test. The '01A grid is connected to the plate through a 2k resistor, the set filament rheostat is adjusted for a reference reading on the meter, then plate voltage is connected and the meter reads plate current as poor, fair, or good.

I like vintage tech.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 03, 2017 10:37 am 

tunerman wrote:
Quote:
455Khz sweeper (ours was homemade, from a Navy 500KHz sweeper circuit....),
Do you use this for sweeping AM IF's?

Sweeping and aligning, yes. It had three sweep widths, and with it and a scope, you could get a nice response curve. IIRC, it was built using a circuit in the DoD/Navy EIMB manual - Electronics Installation and Maintenance Bulletin (or somethng like that.). It used a handful of transistors - two sections, a sweeper/ramp, and an VCO. Output to a capacitor which coupled it to the IFs, and a scope at the detector or just before it.

I didn't understand then (I was a teenager in the 70s....) about AGC/AVC, and wasn't allowed to do any alignments (which were few) at Dad's shop.
Now, having swept many a 500Khz - 60MHz IF and preselector (COM/NAV my first 6 years in the Navy), I can see the helpfulness of the sweeper, but honestly, outside of the Navy, I have had to align very few IFs, and almost always after an IF can swap or Silver Mica Disease cap change. I never touch them unless necessary.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 03, 2017 8:47 pm 

smithdoor wrote:
This asking ever what you using today and if you work using test equipment be for 1980. Also what some of the tech said you needed to the work :?: :?: :?:

Dave

I started out with service grade brands like B&K, Simpson, Heathkit, but now I use higher end names like Tektronix, LeCroy, HP, Fluke, Sencore. Much of it is lab grade & synched to a 10 MHz freq. standard.

Attachments:
test.jpg
test.jpg [ 155.6 KiB | Viewed 1277 times ]

PostPosted: Nov Sat 04, 2017 4:29 am 

There were no back in the day for me test equipment. There is only recently (past ten years) Most of the test equipment I have can double as radios. Frequency selective volt meters and field intensity meters.
Most of my stuff has been acquired off the bay at very reasonable prices some working and some not.
I like fixing or attempting to fix the test equipment as much as I like fixing old radios. I cannot ever
expect to know the full extent of what all my test equipment could do but I enjoy working with it. I still have not figured out how to use my Anritsu MS610B spectrum analyzer to fix radios but it was broken when I purchased it and I fixed it which was very satisfying. There has been some stuff I could not fix so I just junked it chalking it up to experience. My favorite signal generator is a RE-107 which cost $40.00
including shipping. It had a blown 5 volt power supply section which was very easy to repair. It is fully
synthesized 100 KHz to 129 MHz with CW,AM and FM stereo outputs. It has 3 different sweep rates and built in 400Hz and 1000Hz modulation. Digital dbm output control from -119 to +20dbm. I like it better than my HP 8656B. I don't believe you can have too much test equipment and besides looking cool on the bench when people see it they think I know something.